Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/31 16:11:57 UTC

Apache Jackrabbit 1.2 release plan

Hi,

This is an early version of the Apache Jackrabbit 1.2 release plan.
The 1.2 release will contain a number of upgrades and restructurings
as illustrated by the list of key issues below. I believe that we can
have the release ready by the end of this year, but I will rather
postpone the release than drop some of these interrelated key
improvements if things take longer to implement and test.

The initial list of key issues targeted for the 1.2 release is:

    * [JCR-332] - Upgrade to Maven 2
    * [JCR-352] - Upgrade to Lucene 2.0
    * [JCR-585] - Create jackrabbit-api(.jar) and the respective
jackrabbit-rmi extensions
    * [JCR-595] - Refactoring of the Persistence Managers
    * [JCR-610] - Upgrade to Derby 10.2
    * [JCR-612] - Restructure the Jackrabbit source tree

You can target other issues and fixes to this release by tagging them
with the Fix Version "1.2" in the issue tracker.

I will send an updated version of this plan once we're closer to the
release. Meanwhile we will have the 1.1.1 release and optionally a
1.1.2 if needed. Please comment if you have ideas or wishes related to
Jackrabbit releases.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Apache Jackrabbit 1.2 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 12/15/06, Jan Kuźniak <ja...@cognifide.com> wrote:
> I have a question about three issues:
> - JCR-202 (configuration options for search manager)
> - JCR-599 (workspace config inheritance)

I'd rather not get too many configuration changes in Jackrabbit 1.2 on
short notice. More generally I agree with Stefan that there is not yet
good consensus on configuration handling.

The current configuration mechanism is somewhat limited (the two
issues being good examples), and I'd in fact like to start a
discussion on perhaps introducing a more general configuration
framework that wouldn't require such custom extensions for each extra
use case.

> - JCR-663 (Maven2 checkstyle)

I haven't yet had time to get those changes committed. The checkstyle
reports are mostly useful for development in trunk, so I didn't
consider this essential for the release.

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On 12/15/06, Jan Kuźniak <ja...@cognifide.com> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is an early version of the Apache Jackrabbit 1.2 release plan.
> > [...]
> > Please comment if you have ideas or wishes related to Jackrabbit releases.
>

> I have a question about three issues:
> - JCR-202 (configuration options for search manager)
> - JCR-599 (workspace config inheritance)

afaik there's no consensus regarding this issue.
i for one am not convinced whether that would be a good change.

cheers
stefan

Posted by Jan Kuźniak <ja...@cognifide.com>.