Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ap...@4kg.com on 2002/03/22 22:00:47 UTC

Tomcat on Mac OS X, please help!

The players:
* Mac OS 10.1.3
* JDK 1.3.1
*  Tomcat 4.0.2
*  Apache
* webapp-module-1.0-tc40 (for Mac)

The problems:
* Running Tomcat standalone or with Apache, I get 404 errors on the example links.
* When trying to use webapp-module, I get this error:
Syntax error on line 288 of /etc/httpd/httpd.conf:
Invalid virtual host name

I have made no changes to Tomcat's config files, but here are the only changes I've made to httpd.conf (in the appropriate spots). Line 288 is the WebAppDeploy line:

LoadModule webapp_module libexec/httpd/mod_webapp.so
AddModule mod_webapp.c
WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
ServerName localhost

I've followed instructions from Apple's and Apache's sites, but still cannot get it to work.

Thanks

Re: Tomcat on Mac OS X, please help!

Posted by Paul Phillips <pa...@partitura.com>.
I don't know about the 404 errors.

However, I did see "Invalid virtual host name" when I did not define the
server name (with the servername directive) in the apache httpd.conf file.
As I recall, this is commented out by default.  It has to be there for
mod_webapp to work.

Good luck,
Paul Phillips

--On Friday, March 22, 2002 1:00 PM -0800 apache@4kg.com wrote:

> The players:
> * Mac OS 10.1.3
> * JDK 1.3.1
> *  Tomcat 4.0.2
> *  Apache
> * webapp-module-1.0-tc40 (for Mac)
>
> The problems:
> * Running Tomcat standalone or with Apache, I get 404 errors on the
> example links. * When trying to use webapp-module, I get this error:
> Syntax error on line 288 of /etc/httpd/httpd.conf:
> Invalid virtual host name
>
> I have made no changes to Tomcat's config files, but here are the only
> changes I've made to httpd.conf (in the appropriate spots). Line 288 is
> the WebAppDeploy line:
>
> LoadModule webapp_module libexec/httpd/mod_webapp.so
> AddModule mod_webapp.c
> WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
> WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
> ServerName localhost
>

> I've followed instructions from Apple's and Apache's sites, but still
> cannot get it to work.
>
> Thanks

Paul Phillips
Director of Orchestral Activities, Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University

"You must sing every note you play, sing even through the rests!"
Arturo Toscanini