Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> on 2012/11/22 09:11:31 UTC

Plan for Struts 3

Hi,

I've prepared a simple plan to start working on Struts 3 which is
available here [1]

Request Git repo from INFRA
Import project
Remove deprecated plugins
Remove deprecated APIs
Switch to Java 1.6
Rename XWork packages to org.apache.struts.xwork
Rename Struts 2 packages to org.apache.struts ?
Prepare the first release

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Struts+3

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
No, I support dropping the plugin. I was only echoing the previous point,
which was the S1 plugin gives you very limited S1 reuse -- you get the
actions but not the taglibs.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Lukasz, you can... but the S1 plugin allows people to forgo the S1 jar. You
don't gain much in terms of the presentation layer since you can't use the
S1 taglibs anymore, but the S1 action can still be called.

Paul

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/11/26 Ken McWilliams <ke...@gmail.com>:
> How hard would it be to "allow for" struts run time configuration? In
> allowing for I mean having a registry for the configuration of interceptor
> stacks, packages, actions... which the framework will allow for querying
> and in the default case would be immutable but would allow us to substitute
> in mutable managers for these configuration services?  One use-case is to
> produce a struts2(struts3) IDE which runs in a browser.

I don't know what you mean by "allow for" - there is already runtime
configuration build from xml, annotation and convention. You can view
it with the Config Browser plugin, in DevMode if something changes,
the configuration will be reloaded automatically.

Regards

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Ken McWilliams <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
I have to second Matt here. Even though Struts 3.x is about introducing
a platform for breaking changes, we should carefully consider what we
actually break.

The discussion seems to be a variation of "are we going for 2.5 or
3.0?". Since now there seems to be major support for going 3.0, all the
problems arise that have existed in the first place when we chose the
magic 2 both for package naming and branding.

That said, I'd vote for the following interpretation: From a higher
level, Struts 2 is a brand with the 2 pointing to an architectural
level. One could argue that we will be releasing version 3.x of the
Struts 2 architecture. That said, it won't be too confusing if struts2
stays as part of the package naming where it was used so far. And if it
isn't confusing people, I see no real need to change it. Without an
obvious need to change naming, we should not do it and intentionally
break our users' code.

With XWork it is way around. Since XWork is now part of the Struts
project, com.opensymphony package names are really confusing. Though I
hate breaking changes as much as most of us do, I'm all for doing it
right now with the advent of Struts 3.x - that is, renaming it to
org.apache.struts.xwork. The clarification here is arguably worth the
pain we will cause users migrating to Struts 3.x.

- René

Am 27.11.12 23:59, schrieb Matt Raible:
> If it breaks backwards-compatibility, I'd suggest not doing it. I've always been impressed with projects like Spring that've maintained backwards compatibility w/o making a breaking change such as this.
>
> On Nov 27, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Jeff Black <je...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Never mind.
>>
>> I suppose it makes sense to some extent; however I'm with Dave when it comes to incorporating the version number in the package name.
>>
>> Just my two cents.
>>

>> ________________________________

René Gielen
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
You have to differentiate between XWork's internal injection and the
injection abstraction towards user code to support pluggable dependency
injection implementations. The latter one we surely would not want to
drop, and as a matter of fact we are already supporting JSR 330 with the
Spring, Guice and CDI plugins.

As for internal injection, the question is not so much whether we would
want to switch to JSR 330 but rather to what actual injector
implementation. That is, stay with the baked in pre-release Guice code
or switch to an externally maintained framework such as Guice 3. If we'd
go for that, we'd automatically introduce JSR 330 into our internal
injection mechanism.

If we go for replacing the internal injector, there isn't actually too
much choice - Guice or Guice seem to be the options - or, if we feel
adventurous enough, maybe Dagger :) Spring as most widely used
alternative is too heavy-weight. Also, since our internal framework *is*
actually early Guice, some core concepts of how things are implemented
now would have a natural mapping.

I've looked into this task for quite some time now and I can confirm
that this is not trivial. The internal injector is not easy to fiddle
out and replace, but I'm all for giving it a try once we have started
creating the 3.0 code base. As for the Struts 2.x line, the risk was way
too high to touch the injection mechanism while keeping the framework
stable. Only now there is a chance to get hands dirty on this one :)

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Internal means everything consuming the c.o.xwork.Inject annotation and
of course the providing mechanism for this one.

As a user, even today I would never ever (ok, unless I really know what
I'm doing) consume this annotation. And I don't have to, since Spring,
Guice and CDI plugin provide me with javax.inject support within my
actions or interceptors.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/11/28 Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>:
> Would it be possible to write the internal code to use the JSR-330 API and
> supply Guice as the default, rather than tying the system directly to
> Guice?  It seems like there would be an advantage to allowing the internal
> and external injections to potentially share an injection library rather
> than taking up twice the memory to do the same thing.

Probably yes, but I'm not sure - that's the another concern I have
regarding introducing new internal DI (Guice)

Regards

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.
Would it be possible to write the internal code to use the JSR-330 API and
supply Guice as the default, rather than tying the system directly to
Guice?  It seems like there would be an advantage to allowing the internal
and external injections to potentially share an injection library rather
than taking up twice the memory to do the same thing.
  (*Chris*)

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/12/19  <um...@gmail.com>:
> By support for bean validation did you mean to provide it with core or by some sort of plugin.

Plugin is a better option as always :-)

--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by um...@gmail.com.
By support for bean validation did you mean to provide it with core or by some sort of plugin.
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Umesh Awasthi <um...@gmail.com>.
I was looking for this page from some time, since read about *Reworked
localization* there

Do any one have idea about it?

Thanks
Umesh

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found that [1], what do think about the proposed proposals ?
> >
> > [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/S2WIKI/Proposals
>
> Definitely the OSGi thing would draw some attraction. I like this
> proposal. If users are not *forced* to use OSGi, this might be cool.
> But to be honest, I am not an OSGi expert. I followed a talk at
> ApacheCon EU which left me divided. It looked so easy, but I think it
> isn't.
> Another thought, we have Apache Felix and Karaf. We could look at
> Apache Sling. That might help us, or not.
>
> Besides all the OSGi things - deploying just a JAR file at runtime
> without pain is definitely something I would love for my app. On the
> other hand, an App restart (in my case) is pretty quick.
>
> Cheers
> Christian
>

> > Regards
> > --
> > Łukasz
> > + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

> http://www.grobmeier.de
> https://www.timeandbill.de

With Regards
Umesh Awasthi
http://www.travellingrants.com/

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IMO I'd rather see the internal mechanism be able to evolve and make use of
> vetted improvements instead of remaining in the land of Guice of 5+ years
> ago. Newer Guice has more capabilities.

I would like to mention the new incubator project Onami:
http://onami.incubator.apache.org

It is focusing on Guice components - I see some synergy here. And a
few of the components are really cool.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/11/28 Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>:
> We'll always rely on external libraries--and as has been mentioned,
> our core competency isn't DI frameworks, nor should it be.

Always something new :-)

> I'm not sure an XML config layer would be that difficult to build, but
> even if it is, wouldn't it be preferable to use a substantially
> more-mature DI implementation, which more support of more
> functionality than the old, half-baked and hacked one we're using now?

There is one already [1], but again it's another external dependency.
The current internal DI is well mature, just one problem for several
years is not so bad IMHO ;-) Anyway I'm a bit terrify if the new Guice
allow us for all that magic we have right now - and at least keep the
current configuration files to be in line with a new DI.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/guice-xml-config/

Regards

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Konstantin,

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/11/28 Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>:
> Part of the question regarded org.apache.struts v. org.apache.struts2.
>
> I don't know how many (if any) conflicts there are.
>
> I'm not a fan of embedding version info in package names. I'd hate to
> see org.apache.struts3, and IMO it'd be confusing to have Struts 3
> have a struts2 package name component.

Dave is right, that's the main case - package naming and as a side
effect is support for S1 in S3

And I think we agreed to drop support for S1 (remove the plugin) and
rename packages to org.apache.struts

Regards

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

RE: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Jeff Black <je...@yahoo.com>.
Never mind.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Jeff Black <je...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
How useful is the Struts 1 plugin?

I'm not a big fan of the package name versioning.

Dave

(pardon brevity, typos, and top-quoting; on cell)

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Plan for Struts 3

Posted by Johannes Geppert <jo...@apache.org>.
+1 Great Plan!

Johannes

web: http://www.jgeppert.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/jogep

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/12/6 Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>:
> There are some minor things I found:
>
> - the develop branch needs to be used in CI. Not a big deal, but somehow we
> need to tell it the CI

Yes, you can - there is option branches to build

> - what about feature branches? Should they all go remote? When are they
> merged into develop?

No, you can push it remote but if it's a small change it can stay
local. You merge them when you finished ;-)

> Example: I make a feature A, on lokal. When done I merge it into develop
> and push it to remote, where everybody can access it.
> Now lets say I develop the internal guice upgrade. Its something many
> people want to do. Git lets me push my feature branch to remote, like:
> *
> http://www.mariopareja.com/blog/archive/2010/01/11/how-to-push-a-new-local-branch-to-a-remote.aspx
>
> - use of git rebase. this is a feature which I really don't like or don't
> understand. For me history is sacred. When I do a feature A, i might have 5
> commits. Now when I am pushing this, there are some people who say: nobody
> is interested in the commit-mess. They say, I should do a rebase, and my 5
> commits become one visible.

You perform those five commits to your feature branch, when you have
done, switch to develop and merge

 git merge --no-ff myfeature

Regards

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

> great and comprehensive writeup. Which brings me to what is really good
> about not being the first time mover - being able to profit from other's
> experiences.

Unfortunately I have not so much more experience with GIT :-|
Well, I tried the proposed workflow in another project and it looks good so
far.

[...]

Thanks for the other links below; I will surely read through them the next
days.
Surely they will include some wisdom

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
Christian,

great and comprehensive writeup. Which brings me to what is really good
about not being the first time mover - being able to profit from other's
experiences.

A nice glance into some Git-related discussions over at Incubator:
http://markmail.org/message/6f7l3fjksjeem6li

Wicket has fully moved to Git, we might want to peek a bit:
http://markmail.org/message/5rnmtklofv2w7lsv
http://markmail.org/message/6f7l3fjksjeem6li
https://wicket.apache.org/contribute/release.html

Maven obviously had a bit more to plan...
https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/git-migration.html

Cloudstack was the prototype project for Git@Apache
https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/git.html
https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/working-with-cloudstack-code.html

- René

Am 06.12.12 11:53, schrieb Christian Grobmeier:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> wrote:
>> 2012/12/6 Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>:
>>> Would be glad to look at your repos on github.
>>>
>>> One question: are we going to fix issues in Struts 2.x on SVN or are
>>> we going to have everything on GIT then?
>>> In the git-brnaching-model link I see one development branch. I think
>>> we would need a develop2x, develop3x etc branches, right?
>>
>> I thought to leave S2 on SVN and only support it in case of security
>> fixes and really important (performance) fixes, on Git just have S3
>
> Works for me. Its much safer until we all have the necessary
> experience and a workflow has become natural.
>
> We can incoperate fixes from S2 (svn) into S3 (git). I once wrote
> something in that direction for Apache Logging:
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging/UsingGitWithLogging
>
> I took changes from GIT and pushed it to SVN
>
> Cheers
> Christian
>

>> Regards
>> --
>> Łukasz
>> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

> http://www.grobmeier.de
> https://www.timeandbill.de

René Gielen
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/12/6 Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>:
> For migrating current SVN repo content to Git, Infra prefers to
> completely move an existing Git mirror repo. As I see it, we should
> migrate struts2.git and arguably struts-sandbox.git and let the other
> parts reside in SVN with Git morring only.

I didn't think about that :-) We can migrate Struts2, try out how to
use Git and start development of S3 after all :-)

But we should call the repo struts.git ;-)

Regards

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
This is an excellent question and part of the discussion I wanted to
start (but wasn't able to follow up so far in the last busy days)

Given that we decide for Git:

As for me, it makes absolutely no sense to have a common origin codebase
split up into two repositories. If we vote for developing S3 based on a
Git repository and workflow, we should move *the full* Struts 2
development to Git. Developing a new major version takes time, and we
will have to deal with a lot of commits that need to be ported from 2.x
to 3.x branch and vice versa. Having S3 in Git an S2 in subversion makes
absolutely no sense to me then.

What I don't see is moving the S1, site, maven etc. parts of our
Subversion repo. A good way to start planning for chainsawing is having
a look at our Git mirror repos at http://git.apache.org. Currently there
are 5 repos:

struts1.git
struts2.git
struts-sandbox.git
struts-maven.git
struts-site.git

Am 06.12.12 11:32, schrieb Christian Grobmeier:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/nvie/gitflow
>>>
>>> Yeah, I like the workflow quite a bit, although I've only used it on a
>>> couple of smallish projects.
>>
>> The idea looks pretty nice, as we don't have a Git repo yet, I'm going
>> to fork struts2 on the GitHub and try to play a bit - especially with
>> release process
>
> Would be glad to look at your repos on github.
>
> One question: are we going to fix issues in Struts 2.x on SVN or are
> we going to have everything on GIT then?
> In the git-brnaching-model link I see one development branch. I think
> we would need a develop2x, develop3x etc branches, right?
>
> Cheers
> Christian
>

>> Regards
>> --
>> Łukasz
>> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

> http://www.grobmeier.de
> https://www.timeandbill.de

René Gielen
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/12/6 Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>:
> The idea looks pretty nice, as we don't have a Git repo yet, I'm going
> to fork struts2 on the GitHub and try to play a bit - especially with
> release process

Updated the plan with links about Git flow

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> wrote:
> 2012/11/28 Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>:
>> Moving development to the Git infrastructure ASF / Infra now provides is
>> *not* a no-brainer, and it requires a little bit more than just a few +1s :)
>>
>> Let's step back, hold breath, and dive into serious discussion about
>> that. I'm preparing a more detailed post, but here are some first links
>> worth reading as a primer on on this topic:
>
> For me it is simple +1 as I'm using Git(Hub) on daily basis :-)

I am also +1, but for me it is more an adventure. While use Git daily,
unfortunately I do not use it with large teams and a (maybe) complex
build cycle.
That said, we are also migrating with log4php and try to utilize this
workflow (as already suggested):

Lets see how it deals out - worst case we'll learn a lot

Cheers

Re: Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Git (Was: Plan for Struts 3)

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
Folks,

I think right at this point we should fork discussion on methodology
(Git) from new features as in the rest of this thread.

Moving development to the Git infrastructure ASF / Infra now provides is
*not* a no-brainer, and it requires a little bit more than just a few +1s :)

Let's step back, hold breath, and dive into serious discussion about
that. I'm preparing a more detailed post, but here are some first links
worth reading as a primer on on this topic:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org
http://git.apache.org (list of our mirrored Git repos)

For a deep dive, feel free to read the one-stop Git reference this weekend:
http://git-scm.com/book/

- René

--
René Gielen