Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Arie Zilberstein <az...@salesforce.com> on 2014/02/03 14:59:57 UTC

Announce list

Hi,

Is there a mailing list for getting just announcements about new versions?

Thanks,
Arie

Re: Announce list

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
I don't think so.  What would be the value?

Would you be upgrading every 6-8 weeks as the new versions come out?
Or are you downstream of Solr and want to check compatibility?

Curious what the use case would be.

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)

Re: Announce list

Posted by Daniel Collins <da...@gmail.com>.
I have seen other projects that have a releases mailing list, the only use
cases I can think of are:

1) users who want notifications about new releases, but don't want the
"flood" of the full user-list.
2) historical searching to see how often releases were made.  Given there
isn't an official timetable, its not really going to be useful as a forward
planner, but might have some value looking at how often patch releases come
out.  One could attempt to infer some degree of stability (or more
accurately lack of stability) if lots of patches for a given release came
out quickly.

Wasn't aware of the RSS feed, that's useful as an indicator for use case 1
at least.  Use case 2 is probably too vague and has lots of
assumptions/inferences that mean its a bad idea anyway :)

Re: Announce list

Posted by Lajos <la...@protulae.com>.

Re: Announce list

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> Well, the feed URL previously posted just happened to be for all projects,
> there are also per project based feeds if you want more focused RSS...
>
> https://projects.apache.org/feeds/rss/solr.xml

I think this is exactly what the Arie was asking about (maybe with
RSS2Email gateway). Could we add that link to the official
documentation page (next to mailing list links) for other people
interested in this kinds of thing to find.

Re: Announce list

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: The proposed solutions so far (the Apache general updates RSS and the Solr
: general list) are "too noisy" and not focused enough.

Well, the feed URL previously posted just happened to be for all projects,
there are also per project based feeds if you want more focused RSS...

https://projects.apache.org/feeds/rss/solr.xml

: Relatedly, is it possible to get updates on the Solr News page (
: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/solrnews.html)? I couldn't find an RSS link
: or such.

I don't believe the Apache CMS has any easy way to generate an RSS feed at
the moment.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Announce list

Posted by Arie Zilberstein <az...@salesforce.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for your answers. I'll give some context: our project uses multiple
3rd party products, Solr is among them. Upgrading versions of 3rd parties
can only take place at specific points in time in the development cycle. At
these points it would be useful to be able to see what changed in all the
3rd parties and consider the upgrade.

So some projects (e.g. Maven, Tomcat) have their own ANNOUNCE-only lists
that make it easy to get informed of just the updates, and I was hoping to
have the same functionality in Solr.

The proposed solutions so far (the Apache general updates RSS and the Solr
general list) are "too noisy" and not focused enough.

Relatedly, is it possible to get updates on the Solr News page (
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/solrnews.html)? I couldn't find an RSS link
or such.

Best,
Arie