Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Jahangir Mohammed <md...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/10 17:31:47 UTC

Improve Recommendations

I followed very much the example as given in the documentation and it's
working as expected so far.

Have a question on how I can use some of the metadata I have for users and
items to still improve the recommendations. It looks obvious how to do it,
but still want to get a heads up from people who have been using taste for
a while. So, is my assumption correct that I have to implement
UserSimilarity and ItemSimilarity interfaces?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jahangir.

Re: Improve Recommendations

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
You could make an ItemSimilarity based on the tags. Maybe you use the
Tanimoto coefficient to make a simple similarity metric based on their
presence or absence. Then you use an item-based recommender.

Posted by Jahangir Mohammed <md...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.