Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xh...@jayasoft.fr> on 2006/08/31 17:18:48 UTC

struts2: disable ivy in ant build

Hi All,

I'm not all involved in struts2, but while browsing the web I've noticed
your page explaining how to skip ivy dependency resolution in an ant
build. Using -Dskip.ivy=true is good, we use a slightly easier way to do
that in our builds. We define a what I call a flag target (it does
nothing except setting a flag), in this case "noivy" for instance, which
simply sets the property. The difference is only cosmetic, you type "ant
noivy compile" for instance, instead of "ant -Dskip.ivy=true compile".
The advantage for the user is that it is slightly easier to remember,
and it's self documenting, adding a description on the target you can
get the standard "ant -p" help about it. The only problem is when you
want to call the default target (that is, do not specify the target when
calling ant), you still have to use -D, or define a "default" target
which depends on your real default target (so that users don't have to
remember which is the default target).

I don't know what you think, throw this away if you don't like the idea,
but usually developers I meet prefer this way to deal with
disabling/enabling features in an ant build. And the flag target doesn't
prevent the use of -D, so everybody's usually happy with that.

My 2 c.

-- Xavier Hanin

Re: struts2: disable ivy in ant build

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I've removed the obsolete page. At this point, both the Struts 1 and
Struts 2 builds are fully driven by Maven.

-Ted.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xh...@jayasoft.fr>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.