Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/10/22 02:49:16 UTC

[Torque] Criteria

Hi,

I was just looking at Criteria and noticed that it extended Hashtable. Would
it be better to have a hashtable as a private member variable and use it this
way ? This would thus allows the class to only expose a "safe" interface to
other objects.

Another thing to note is that currently Criterion (inner class of Criteria)
will not compile using the latest jikes compiler. The reason is (I think) due
to jikes generating bad byte code for chains of constructors in inner classes
or something. Haven't looked at it closely. This is just in case someone else
is getting wierd errors with that compiler.

However I think it may be useful to split that class into separate class ?
Not sure what do you think ? Also why is ignorecase specified for criteria
"inherited" to criterion?

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: [Torque] Criteria

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> writes:

> I was just looking at Criteria and noticed that it extended Hashtable. Would
> it be better to have a hashtable as a private member variable and use it this
> way ?

This has been discussed.  I'm +1 on Criteria no longer extending
Hashtable.  Someone has but to do the work and submit a patch...  ;)

> This would thus allows the class to only expose a "safe" interface
> to other objects.

Criteria definitely shouldn't inherit Hashtable's interface.  Bleh.

> Another thing to note is that currently Criterion (inner class of Criteria)
> will not compile using the latest jikes compiler. The reason is (I think) due
> to jikes generating bad byte code for chains of constructors in inner classes
> or something. Haven't looked at it closely. This is just in case someone else
> is getting wierd errors with that compiler.
>
> However I think it may be useful to split that class into separate class ?
> Not sure what do you think ? Also why is ignorecase specified for criteria
> "inherited" to criterion?

John McNally is probably the best person to comment on the rest of
this.

                                 Dan