Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jim Tyrrell <ji...@yahoo.com> on 2010/06/12 22:27:59 UTC

[sanselan] How to read and write Description Field in Photoshop

I am trying to read and write the Photoshop entered Caption or Description.  When I save the file off I see it shows up in two places in the output, but I do not see nor can I find any good ways to update/create this in any examples or web searching.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

I looked at this site, and have the code working, but it does not show up in Photoshop as I was hoping.
http://www.screaming-penguin.com/node/7485
Using the example part way down, titled "Thanks for the demo code; how to write the UserComment field"

The relevant code is here:
               String userCommentHeaderForASCII = "ASCII\0\0\0";
               String userCommentData = userCommentHeaderForASCII + "some string value";
               TiffOutputField uc = new TiffOutputField(TiffConstants.EXIF_TAG_USER_COMMENT,
               TiffConstants.FIELD_TYPE_ASCII,
               userCommentData.length(),
               userCommentData.getBytes());

I also see that photoshop writes the info to two areas that are referenced here when I take a raw image from a camera and edit the Description:

item: Image Description: 'This is a test description.' :: class org.apache.sanselan.formats.tiff.TiffImageMetadata$Item

item: Caption/Abstract: This is a test description. :: class org.apache.sanselan.common.ImageMetadata$Item
So photoshop is writing it out.

But I can not figure out a way to add in either of these two fields?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Jim