Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2008/12/09 10:44:08 UTC

Freenode IRC channel

Hi devs,

Currently there are about 10-15 users (mostly idling) in the #tapestry
irc channel with others stopping by when they need help or advice. In
order for us to perform administrative tasks (like updating the outdated
topic) on that channel, the "ownership" of that channel has to be
transferred to someone who then may perform these tasks or appoint
people to do so. Tobias Frech currently owns this channel and has
administrator privileges (he registered the channel in june 2003) but he
doesn't seem to be active in the Tapestry community anymore and doesn't
answer e-mails.

Freenode policy says that in order to request ownership of a
group-related channel, someone from that group has to establish an
official relationship with the network by filling in a group contact
form. This persons has to have the permission of the group to do so.

For project-oriented groups like Tapestry, this appointment has to be
made in accordance with the group's decision making process.

I therefore ask for the PMC to appoint a contact or for the community to
vote one (whichever is fit), who then establishs a relationship with the
freenode network in order to get ownership of the #tapestry channel and
perform administrative tasks on it.

If no one of the committers/PMC members wants to do the job, I'd volunteer.

Cheers,

Uli

Re: Freenode IRC channel

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
This discussion has come up in other contexts: people wanting to set
up an "official" forum for Tapestry, etc.

Apache guidelines are that only the mailing lists are sanctioned.

>From my perspective; I'm not able to keep up with the mailing lists,
splitting my attention to forums and IRC channels isn't going to help
that.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> Kevin Menard schrieb:
>>
>> Hi Uli et al.,
>>
>> Independently of this message, I had already begun the process to grab
>> founder status of the channel.  I had been previously given op
>> permissions and was the only one in the channel with them.  I was,
>> however, unable to grant such permissions to others.  The issue has
>> been worked out and I'm now the channel founder.  If the PMC would
>> still like to appoint someone else, that's fine.  But, we are in a
>> better position now than we were before.
>>

> That's OK with me. At least now, a committer has the privileges to
> administer the channel.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Uli

Howard M. Lewis Ship