Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by "Irving, Dave" <da...@logicacmg.com> on 2006/09/19 12:12:34 UTC

[OT] Automated testing frameworks?

Hi,

First - sorry for the fairly OT post.
Im wondering if anyone knows of any automated WS integration testing
tools.
Basically what I want to be able to do is exercise a set of WS calls and
be able to make assertions on the responses.
Ideally, I'd also like to be able to pick out parts of the response to
use as parameters in subsequent requests.
(E.g, Asking for a list of Products in one invocation, and then issuing
a further call to ask about details of a specific product, using one of
the IDs returned from the first message).
What Im thinking is maybe something like Apache Latka but for WS. E.g,
maybe expectations and calls are defined in a config file, and behind
the scenes stubs are generated from WSDL, and the config mapped
(probably reflection or code gen stylee) on to invocations.
I suppose what Im trying to get to is an automated (and non-gui) based
integration tool for WS which doesn't put much burden on developers when
new operations from the WSDL are to be tested.

Does anyone know if anything like this exists? Or if it doesn't, whether
it would actually be a useful tool to have?

Cheers,

Dave

Re: [OT] Automated testing frameworks?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Irving, Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First - sorry for the fairly OT post.
> Im wondering if anyone knows of any automated WS integration testing
> tools.
> Basically what I want to be able to do is exercise a set of WS calls and
> be able to make assertions on the responses.
> Ideally, I'd also like to be able to pick out parts of the response to
> use as parameters in subsequent requests.
> (E.g, Asking for a list of Products in one invocation, and then issuing
> a further call to ask about details of a specific product, using one of
> the IDs returned from the first message).
> What Im thinking is maybe something like Apache Latka but for WS. E.g,
> maybe expectations and calls are defined in a config file, and behind
> the scenes stubs are generated from WSDL, and the config mapped
> (probably reflection or code gen stylee) on to invocations.
> I suppose what Im trying to get to is an automated (and non-gui) based
> integration tool for WS which doesn't put much burden on developers when
> new operations from the WSDL are to be tested.
>
> Does anyone know if anything like this exists? Or if it doesn't, whether
> it would actually be a useful tool to have?

First, I will draw your attention to a talk I gave two weeks ago,
showing distributed testing including interop testing of WSRF stacks:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4478242864801668108&q=ltac

You should also check out some of the other talks, including the
selenium and fitness stuff, which have test suites driven by wikis and
HTML pages, rather than java code.

But I'm somewhat fond of writing tests against an endpoint in Java,
because that really tests the client API that you have to write too. And
you can write nunit tests in C# to test that language too, so you can be
sure of interop. If you are testing from a third party library, then,
unless that library compiles down to Sun JAX-WS RI, Axis2, .NET clients,
then you arent going to be sure of interop. Now, if you have a test
library that does that from wiki text entries, well, you have something
pretty unique.

What may be useful and easier to write is something a bit like HttpUnit;
helper classes to make it easier to test your endpoint from junit or
testng tests. Even so, you are probably biasing towards a particular
SOAP client stack, unless you use 'pure' JAX-WS API calls.

-steve

Re: [OT] Automated testing frameworks?

Posted by Badri Narayanan Sugavanam <bn...@gmail.com>.
You can try Jmeter , but will not that help in functional testing

On 9/19/06, Irving, Dave <da...@logicacmg.com> wrote:
> Badri Narayanan Sugavanam [mailto:bnarayanan@gmail.com] wrote:
>

> > You can try
> > http://soaplite.com/download.html
>
> Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I've got to stick with java on this
> one though :o(
>
> Dave
>

> This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Thank you.

--Badri

RE: [OT] Automated testing frameworks?

Posted by "Irving, Dave" <da...@logicacmg.com>.

Posted by Badri Narayanan Sugavanam <bn...@gmail.com>.