Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2013/11/01 16:28:26 UTC

RE: ytex ctakes patches

Hi VJ,
Apologies for the delayed response.  I'll try to incorporate the changes over the next few days... unless someone beats me to it and tackles these Jira's beforehand...

Regarding uimaFIT vs XML descriptors.  Yes, I think some of the older components have remained intact largely for legacy reasons, and no one has gotten back to upgrading them yet.
Especially since we no longer use the pear deployment, we should be able to simplify it significantly- maybe remove all of the individual/duplicate descriptor files and leave a few sample aggregate ones  (Note: you can also use uimaFIT to generate the xml descriptor files which is also pretty handy for newer components).
I'm a +1 for using the name in the classpath just like resources- There may have already been an open Jira for it.
It probably makes sense to spend some time and have a bit of an overhaul and have a fresh eye on the descriptors just like what we did with resources... my 2 cents.
--Pei