Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by dw5ight <dw...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/23 21:57:42 UTC

Practical Optimization

Hey All-

we run a  http://carsabi.com car search engine  with Solr and did some
benchmarking recently after we switched from a hosted service to
self-hosting. In brief, we went from 800ms complex range queries on a 1.5M
document corpus to 43ms. The major shifts were switching from EC2 Large to
EC2 CC8XL which got us down to 282ms (2.82x speed gain due to 2.75x CPU
speed increase we think), and then down to 43ms when we sharded to 8 cores.
We tried sharding to 12 and 16 but saw negligible gains after this point.

Anyway, hope this might be useful to someone - we write up exact stats and a
step by step sharding procedure on our
http://carsabi.com/car-news/2012/03/23/optimizing-solr-7x-your-search-speed/
tech blog  if anyone's interested.

best
Dwight

Re: Practical Optimization

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, this is very helpful!

Re: Practical Optimization

Posted by Martin Koch <ma...@issuu.com>.

Re: Practical Optimization

Posted by William Bell <bi...@gmail.com>.
What type of logging were you using?

Did you try log back? We get a pretty large increase when using that.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM, dw5ight <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey All-
>
> we run a  http://carsabi.com car search engine  with Solr and did some
> benchmarking recently after we switched from a hosted service to
> self-hosting. In brief, we went from 800ms complex range queries on a 1.5M
> document corpus to 43ms. The major shifts were switching from EC2 Large to
> EC2 CC8XL which got us down to 282ms (2.82x speed gain due to 2.75x CPU
> speed increase we think), and then down to 43ms when we sharded to 8 cores.
> We tried sharding to 12 and 16 but saw negligible gains after this point.
>
> Anyway, hope this might be useful to someone - we write up exact stats and a
> step by step sharding procedure on our
> http://carsabi.com/car-news/2012/03/23/optimizing-solr-7x-your-search-speed/
> tech blog  if anyone's interested.
>
> best