Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by scott <tc...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/01 16:40:51 UTC

Re: ListSFTP incoming relationship

Okay. I guess I didn't realize how Nifi dev felt about risk tolerance. I
think I can work around it by adding duplicate filtering or implement some
other state management solution.
So, what's the next step?

Scott

Posted by scott <tc...@gmail.com>.
Pierre,

That sounds good. I'll work on the requirements and create a Jira this
week, so that I can get started.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Scott

Posted by Joey Frazee <jo...@icloud.com>.
I worked on this at one point to make it "easier" (haha...) to process a very deep directory tree with 100k+ files -- idea was to break it up into subtrees for concurrency, etc. by looping the outgoing relationship back to input.

It ended up being being painful. Looking at the diff again the most annoying things were:

- The list processors extend AbstractListProcessor which made the change invasive. It felt dirty to alter the already existing incoming attrs for the purpose of leaving performListing alone so it required interface and implementation changes across other processors.

- The state problem already mentioned was a downer. The size of the state store wasn't a problem in practice, assuming a trusted client and some vaguely small number of dirs. What was more annoying is you have to move to directory name keys and have a state migration hook to preserve compability. Right now there's two values stored so it's N*2 (at the time I convinced myself those were redundant but there's a lot of edge cases that have been patched over time so dunno for sure).

Having tried it I am on team ScanX for a second stateless processor.

If state or a last modified guard of some kind is needed, it can be implemented at the flow level in a number of ways (DMC, LookupService, DetectDupe, etc.). This isn't possible with ListX because it doesn't take input so embedding the last modified filter in those is way more of a necessity.

-joey

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,