Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/25 03:42:01 UTC

[VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Here we go again.

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemahout-005/

This has the additional fix to the distribution and updates to POMS.

vote good for 72 hours.

+1 here.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
The text is...

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Do we want to do a press release with the ASF?

+1 to the press release - what's needed for this?

Note: Intentionally not voting on the release just yet as I don't get
to checking the artifacts. To do at least something for it, I just
pinged heise: They are interested in including an article on our
release on their Newsticker. I'll take care of forwarding release notes
etc. and pinging them when we are done if that is ok with you.

Isabel

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
You're not looking in the right place.

The 'bin' directory is created as part of the distribution by the
assembly plugin.

Look in distribution/target at the various outputs, and you'll find
bin directories in them.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
This had me confused as well, btw.  I found it by just looking at what maven
had created most recently but it wasn't obvious.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Jeff Eastman <je...@narus.com> wrote:
> I don't even have mahout-distribution-0.5-SNAPSHOT in mahout/distribution/target, just the -0.4- files (which are empty). Sorry but for technical reasons I won't be able to post the ls -R until I get home tonite, but it does not contain any bin directories either.
>
> I do notice that checking out from trunk produces a mahout/bin directory. Building from the distribution as below does not. I would think it should, else the wiki instructions should be corrected for folks using our source distribution.

I'd expect a 4, not a 5, but otherwise I'm stumped.

I'll check out the tag and see what I set.

RE: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Jeff Eastman <je...@narus.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'm frustrated too. The Quick Start instructions in the Wiki (BuildingMahout) say only to run "mvn install" from the checked-out directory. They say nothing about adding -Prelease, but even adding that to the top-level "mvn install -Prelease" does not produce a build with a bin directory. And, there is no bin directory in distribution/target directory either. It should not be this difficult.

Jeff,

I never wrote that the 'bin' directory would be sitting directly in
target. I wrote that it would be in the distribution artifacts in
target. Please run 'ls -R' in distribution/target and post the results
so that we can be on the same page.

Or log into people.apache.org and repro this so that I can log in and
see what you got.

The build instructions are tilted toward a 'traditional maven build.'
They assume that most people don't want a full distribution with a
'bin' directory. They just want to build the libraries. So the
instructions don't talk about the release process.

So, yes, the instructions could use some help here.

--benson

RE: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.
No apology required, I'm just glad it wasn't me and my trunk (again) <grin/>

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

Good job at being persistent!!!

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Right.  but if it doesn't get copied into the src distro, it effectively
disappeared.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
The next spin is in process. It takes, of course, 1/2 of forever.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>.
Looks like it's there:

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I use it live from the top as well (but don't particularly care where it is.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

It's in the non src distribution:  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemahout-005/org/apache/mahout/mahout-distribution/0.4/mahout-distribution-0.4.tar.gz

I think it's also in: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemahout-005/org/apache/mahout/mahout/0.4/

> and built it as described below. There is no bin directory.

Search the Lucene ecosystem docs using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

RE: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.

--------------------------

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

--------------------------

RE: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by deneche abdelhakim <ad...@gmail.com>.
+1

signing Ok, "mvn clean install" is successful  (using maven 2.2.1)

Re: [VOTE] 0.4 take 2

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.