Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org> on 2014/07/01 00:38:11 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] The next version of jclouds

Thanks for breaking out some of our choices.  I slightly prefer two
major releases to address Guava pain immediately and require Java 7
later.  Would 1.8.x branch from 1.7.x or from master?  If we branch from
master, we could delay the 2.0 release requiring Java 7 until later in
the year.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] The next version of jclouds

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
We have several potential tasks for 1.8.0:

1) streamline release process
2) Guava 18 compatibility (JCLOUDS-622)
3) reparent chef to core

I suspect we need another week to finish these tasks; I can finish 2 but
do we have owners for tasks 1 and 3?  Given these outstanding tasks can
we plan for either 21 or 28 July?  I can help on either of these dates.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] The next version of jclouds

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:42:41PM +0000, Everett Toews wrote:
> Okay let’s begin the release on the 28th.

Thank you for managing this release!  Good news, Roman Coedo made
sufficient progress on glacier that it is usable and we should ship it
in 1.8.  However, the google-cloud-storage provider is not complete; can
you unhook it from pom.xml in the jclouds-labs-aws repository in the 1.8
branch?  Finally I have concerns about openstack-swift integration test
failures; do you expect these results:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-641

> I’ll kick things off around 11 am CDT (or whenever abayer is available :) and will be looking to IRC for help.
>
> I’ve opened a PR for the 1.8 release notes [1] directly on the Apache git repo so any committer can check it out and push commits. If you want me to change something I’ve written, feel free to comment. If you want to add something, please just add it.

Great, I will help with it this week.

> This will be the last release to support Java 6.
>
> The next release will be 2.0 and will happen in mid-September.
>
> If you disagree with any of the above, please say something now.

Agree on the last release to support Java 6, although prefer to defer
discussion of 2.0.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] The next version of jclouds

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
Forgot to mention I added an “API Changes” section to the release notes. If you’re aware of any API changes (deprecations, API replacements, API removals), please add them there.

Thanks,
Everett

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Shrinand Javadekar <sh...@maginatics.com>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Shrinand Javadekar <sh...@maginatics.com>.
I was about to ask something similar. Is there a reason for having a
1.7.4 and a 1.8.0 release? Can't we simply do a 1.8.0 to alleviate the
Guava pain and then do a v2.0 release?

Also, IIRC one of the big ticket items in v2.0 was the graduation of
the new openstack implementation from jclouds-labs to the main jclouds
code. We should probably start that process sooner so that it gets as
much testing as possible (and possibly bug fixes).

-Shri

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.