Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com> on 2006/05/19 15:15:46 UTC

Is defining a common type for "void" messages" allowed in document/literal?

Hi all,

I am wondering if it is valid to define a common VoidType as:

<xsd:complexType name="VoidType">
     <xsd:sequence/>
</xsd:complexType>

and use it for all the elements that are empty. That is, for an
interface like:

public interface MyProfile extends Remote {
   String getMyName();
   void setMyName(String name);
}

Instead of:

MyProfilePortType
     getMyName
       Input  : GetMyNameRequest   --> GetMyNameRequestType
       Output : GetMyNameResponse  --> GetMyNameResponseType
     setMyName
       Input  : SetMyNameRequest   --> SetMyNameRequestType
       Output : SetMyNameResponse  --> SetMyNameResponseType

where GetMyNameRequestType and SetMyNameResponseType are equivalent,
have this WSDL definitions:

MyProfilePortType
     getMyName
       Input  : GetMyNameRequest   --> VoidType
       Output : GetMyNameResponse  --> GetMyNameResponseType
     setMyName
       Input  : SetMyNameRequest   --> SetMyNameRequestType
       Output : SetMyNameResponse  --> VoidType

Will Axis correctly understand such a WSDL when generating code?

Thanks
Rodrigo

GRIDSYSTEMS                    Rodrigo Ruiz Aguayo
Parc Bit - Son Espanyol
07120 Palma de Mallorca        mailto:rruiz@gridsystems.com
Baleares - España              Tel:+34-971435085 Fax:+34-971435082
http://www.gridsystems.com

Re: Is defining a common type for "void" messages" allowed in document/literal?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Yes. It's a good practice.

Anne