Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Sun, Tiffany (Tong)" <TS...@AAS.com> on 2004/08/18 17:38:30 UTC

FOP 1.0 Dev.

Hi,

I'm currently using FOP 0.20.5, but when I downloaded FOP1.0 Dev from CVS in
hope it will fix some of my problems, I ran into more problems:
First, I have to change most of the method calls for it to compile, then I
found that some of the old EPS files are not working using the newly built
FOP, it just hangs there and the generated PS file size keeps growing into a
few MB, before it's around 30KB; The block-container position also doesn't
work, I defined left, top, width and height, position="absolute", which
worked in 0.20.5.
At this point I'm confused: if I want to modify some features, should I
start to work on the released version or the newest 1.0dev? Please advise.

Thanks.

Re: FOP 1.0 Dev.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Sun, Tiffany (Tong) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using FOP 0.20.5, but when I downloaded FOP1.0 Dev from
> CVS in hope it will fix some of my problems, I ran into more problems:

Yes, you will. The 1.0 Dev branch isnt ready yet.

> First, I have to change most of the method calls for it to compile, then
> I found that some of the old EPS files are not working using the newly
> built FOP, it just hangs there and the generated PS file size keeps
> growing into a few MB, before it's around 30KB; The block-container
> position also doesn't work, I defined left, top, width and height,
> position="absolute", which worked in 0.20.5.

block-containers is on the FOP 1.0 TODO list before we can do a release. See:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/design/layout.html#status-todo

> At this point I'm confused: if I want to modify some features, should I
> start to work on the released version or the newest 1.0dev? Please advise.

Any patches you submit to 0.20.5 are unlikely to be committed to the code
base. Any work you do on FOP 1.0 dev will be highly welcome. However, as
you've already noticed the development branch is not yet up to 0.20.5 so we
need to do a lot more work on core features before it is ready for "tweaking"

The reason for this situation is that FOP 1.0 dev is not just an evolution of
FOP 0.20.5, but was a ground up re-write. This was necessary because the
structure of the code in 0.20.5 did not allow for key features such as keep-*
properties.

Chris