Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Marchant, Hayden " <ha...@citi.com> on 2017/12/04 10:31:54 UTC

TaskManager HA on YARN

Hi,

WE are currently start to test Flink running on YARN. Till now, we've been testing on Standalone Cluster. One thing lacking in standalone is that we have to manually restart a Task Manager if it dies. I looked at https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/setup/jobmanager_high_availability.html#yarn-cluster-high-availability , and see that YARN deals with HA for Job Manager. How does it deal with a Task Manager if it dies? I would like the Task Manager to be dealt with similarly to Job Manager on failure. For example, let's say I have a cluster with two Task Managers, and one task manager dies. Will YARN restart the dead Task Manager, or would that need to be a manual restart?

What actually would happen in the above case?

Thanks,
Hayden

Re: TaskManager HA on YARN

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi Hayden,

in Yarn mode, Flink will tolerate as many TM failures as you have
configured `yarn.maximum-failed-containers`. Per default this is set to the
initial number of requested TMs. So in your case, the Flink cluster would
restart twice a TM and then fail the cluster once a TM fails for the third
time.

Cheers,
Till