Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2001/02/20 23:48:22 UTC

Re: Question for your Apache FAQ]

From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ke...@Golux.Com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 4:19 PM

> Anyone want to add this to the docco?  I am swamped..

Where on earth would it belong?

This is an external module configuration issue, not Apache's.

Now I'd be all for creating some sort of brainshare - pages on php, frontpage, fastcgi,
and this could start the coldfusion section.

The problem?  These get horrible to maintain.

You get into an n^3 scenario of each of these authoring tools/3rd party module versions
times the number of apache versions and changes, times the number of tools/modules themselves.

This should be some offset of a bugs-like system, user driven, that folks can pound in
as many of these sorts of solutions as they can.  The only review?  Apache-folk adding
comments "Hey ... that works, but how about this easier ..."

I'm really afraid when we get into these details, we will drown.

Re: Question for your Apache FAQ]

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> [...]

I agree, this doesn't belong in the Apache FAQ.

[...]

> This should be some offset of a bugs-like system, user driven, that folks can pound in
> as many of these sorts of solutions as they can.  The only review?  Apache-folk adding
> comments "Hey ... that works, but how about this easier ..."

I agree, this would be VERY usefull.  There are a couple external sites
that have tried to do this sort of thing for Apache, but none have come
close to the "critical mass" necessary for success.

The Faq-o-matic seems to be specifically designed for this.
http://faqomatic.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1.html
And there even seems to be an Apache project designing a better one:
http://java.apache.org/jyve/
but it doesn't seem functional at the moment.

It would be great to have something like this, especially as usenet is
getting more and more difficult to use efficiently.

Joshua.