Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2005/03/27 14:33:07 UTC

Release process: "Version @version@ (@date@)" in "History of Changes"

Hi all,

I have been rarely on the lists in the last weeks. I even had to read
the changes file to know what's going on with Cocoon. :-)

But when reading the "History of Changes" [1] I saw the string "Version
@version@ (@date@)" instead of the release's version. Though the web
site seems not to be up to date, the release version of status.xml [2]
also has this string instead of the version. Now I had a look at the
Cocoon Release How To [3] and in my opinion the step with committing
status.xml is done to late:

B) The Release Process

*Set correct version information*

Change the version information in
src/java/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.properties by removing "-dev" and
eventually add new release information like m1, b1 etc. If this release
is a final version, change the "released.version" info to the new
version as well. And also change the version accordingly in
forrest.properties. But don't check-in this yet!

*Start next version*

Check the version in src/java/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.properties by
increasing the version information and adding "-dev" at the end, for
example m3-dev. Change status.xml by adding the release with proper
version and date and start a new release section with the placeholders.
Add a dummy action here. And also change the version in forrest.properties.

IMO this should be changed to:

*Set correct version information*

Additional: Change status.xml by adding the release with proper version
and date.

*Start next version*

Replace sentence according status.xml with "Change status.xml by
starting a new release section with the placeholders. Add a dummy action
here."

What do you think? IMO this should fix the web site when building the
documentation from released sources.

Joerg

Re: Release process: "Version @version@ (@date@)" in "History of Changes"

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been rarely on the lists in the last weeks. I even had to read
> the changes file to know what's going on with Cocoon. :-)
>
> But when reading the "History of Changes" [1] I saw the string "Version
> @version@ (@date@)" instead of the release's version. Though the web
> site seems not to be up to date, the release version of status.xml [2]
> also has this string instead of the version. Now I had a look at the
> Cocoon Release How To [3] and in my opinion the step with committing
> status.xml is done to late:

> B) The Release Process

> *Set correct version information*
>
> Change the version information in
> src/java/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.properties by removing "-dev" and
> eventually add new release information like m1, b1 etc. If this release
> is a final version, change the "released.version" info to the new
> version as well. And also change the version accordingly in
> forrest.properties. But don't check-in this yet!

> *Start next version*
>
> Check the version in src/java/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.properties by
> increasing the version information and adding "-dev" at the end, for
> example m3-dev. Change status.xml by adding the release with proper
> version and date and start a new release section with the placeholders.
> Add a dummy action here. And also change the version in forrest.properties.

> IMO this should be changed to:

> *Set correct version information*
>
> Additional: Change status.xml by adding the release with proper version
> and date.

> *Start next version*
>
> Replace sentence according status.xml with "Change status.xml by
> starting a new release section with the placeholders. Add a dummy action
> here."

> What do you think? IMO this should fix the web site when building the
> documentation from released sources.

The released version (the downloadable dist) contains the correct
version number in status.xml - if you check out the version from svn,
it's correct that the placeholders are in status.xml, but as soon as you
build the version or the docs, these get replaced with the correct
version information. But I agree that we could add the fixed values in
svn for the release as well (although it's not required).

Now the real problem is building the docs for the website - you're right
that if we use the released version, that the version information is not
properly set. (The website is not updated yet)
But we often use an unreleased (newer) version to build the site anyway
- so we have a problem with the site generation in general: we should
check for these placeholders and replace them during site generation.
Can anyone look into this?

Thanks
Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: Release process: "Version @version@ (@date@)" in "History of Changes"

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 27.03.2005 14:33, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been rarely on the lists in the last weeks. I even had to read
> the changes file to know what's going on with Cocoon. :-)
>
> But when reading the "History of Changes" [1] I saw the string "Version
> @version@ (@date@)" instead of the release's version. Though the web
> site seems not to be up to date, the release version of status.xml [2]
> also has this string instead of the version. Now I had a look at the
> Cocoon Release How To [3] and in my opinion the step with committing
> status.xml is done to late:

Missing links:

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html
[2]