Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> on 2005/06/22 16:28:56 UTC

svn 1.2 book available... but still in progress

Just a minor announcement:

The free svnbook has been "mostly" updated to cover Subversion 1.2
features.

In particular, it now explains locking here, in much more detail than
the 1.2 release notes:

    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.locking.html

The autoversioning appendix has also been rewritten to better explain
DAV client usability issues:

    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.webdav.html

PLEASE NOTE:  The 1.2 book is a work in progress.  Many things have
been documented, but there are still several things left in our queue
that we're working on.  The links above contain the word 'nightly',
meaning that they're nightly builds of the book.  It's probably not a
good idea to bookmark them until we finish and tag the 1.2 book.

Book feedback/discussion is always welcome on svnbook-dev@red-bean.com.

Re: svn 1.2 book available!

Posted by Joey Mukherjee <jo...@swri.edu>.
Ok, based on the advice below, I was able to build the book with little
to no trouble.  The java I had installed (kaffe) didn't work so I used
the jdk1.3.  The only thing I would recommend is a command to actually
fetch the book written on the website or in the README file.  I
eventually realized I had to do a svn co
https://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook .

If anyone else is interested in a PDF version of the SVN v1.2 book
based on revision 1491, you can get it from:

http://cluster.space.swri.edu/~joey/svn-book.pdf.gz

Enjoy!

On Jun 23, 2005, at 10:30 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2005, at 9:52 AM, Joey Mukherjee wrote:
>
>> How does the PDF of the book come about?
>
> Somebody hand-builds it, then uploads.
>

>> Is it possible to add a PDF to the nightly?
>
> Alas, not at this time.  red-bean has no problems using libxslt to
> automatically produce HTML versions of the book's /trunk each night,
> but java isn't so happy on that box, which means no FOP, which means
> no PDF.
>

>>   Alternatively, is there an easy way for me to create the PDF and
>> print it out?
>
> Checkout a copy of the svnbook tree, and read the README.  Anyone can
> build the book, if you have the right tools installed.
>

>>   Or does the PDF version have a tentative release date?
>
> There's nothing special about the PDF version.  It's just not being
> built nightly.  You're free to grab the already-uploaded svn 1.1 PDF.
> Or, checkout /trunk and build the latest 1.2 PDF yourself.

Joey

Re: svn 1.2 book available... but still in progress

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Joey Mukherjee <jo...@swri.edu>.
How does the PDF of the book come about?  Is it possible to add a PDF
to the nightly?  Alternatively, is there an easy way for me to create
the PDF and print it out?  Or does the PDF version have a tentative
release date?

I love to kill trees!  :-)  Just kidding, but I'd like to be able to
read the book from cover to cover before I start getting my group to
use it.

Thanks,
Joey

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.
On Jun 22, 2005, at 12:41 PM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:

> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> writes:
>

>> Ah, that may be a good idea, yes.  Putting the 1.1 book into 1.2.0
>> tarball was a mistake, I think.  We already have a precedent for
>> putting "unfinished" versions of the book into release tarballs.  We
>> did it all the time when we were pre-1.0.
>>

> Um... at the time 1.2.0 was released, did we even *have* an unfinished
> 1.2.0 version?  (I honestly can't recall.)

Probably not... just a 99% finished 1.1 book.  :-)

Re: svn 1.2 book available... but still in progress

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Norbert Unterberg <nu...@gmail.com>.
2005/6/22, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>:

> PLEASE NOTE:  The 1.2 book is a work in progress.  Many things have
> been documented, but there are still several things left in our queue
> that we're working on.

Nevertheless, wouldn't it be better to deliver a "nightly" 1.2 version
of the documentation in the subversion installer, than a 1.1 version
that does not even mention the new features? I am thinking about the
upcoming svn 1.2.1 release. Or are you already planning to do just
that?

Norbert