Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/02 19:54:59 UTC

Looking to 1.0

Hi all,
Happy new year! As we look ahead to 2020, it's time to start mobilizing for
the Arrow 1.0 release. At 0.15, I believe we decided that our next release
should be 1.0, and it's been a couple of months since 0.15, so we're due to
release again this month, give or take. (See [1] for when we most recently
discussed doing 1.0 back in June, or if you're a fan of ancient history,
see [2] for a similar discussion from July 2017.)

Since there appeared to be consensus before that it is time for 1.0, let's
discuss how to get it done. One first step would be to make sure that we've
identified all format/specification issues we think we must resolve before
declaring 1.0. [3] shows 3 "blockers" for the 1.0 release already. There
are an additional 14 "Format" issues ([4]); perhaps some of those should
also be labeled blockers for 1.0.

It would be great if folks could review Jira in their areas of expertise
and make sure everything essential for 1.0 is ticketed and prioritized
appropriately. Once we've identified the required tasks for making a 1.0
release, we can work together on burning those down.

Neal

[1]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/44a7a3d256ab5dbd62da6fe45b56951b435697426bf4adedb6520907@%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E

[2]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0aca401e8906e1adbb37228b38569a9a7736b864da854007dad111c3%40%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E
[3]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+1.0.0+Release
[4]:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20ARROW%20AND%20status%20in%20(%22In%20Review%22%2C%20Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.0.0%20AND%20component%20%3D%20Format

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for reviewing, Jacques. Re: Jira tagging, the convention I've seen
is to use "Fix Version" for open tickets to indicate a target release
(that's what the confluence board draws from, for example). So by my
understanding, Fix Version == 1.0.0 and Priority == Blocker says that
they're things we have to resolve before 1.0.0. Happy to follow a different
convention though if folks can think of something better.

Neal

Re: Timeline for next major release [was Re: Looking to 1.0]

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi all, to help us get ready, I've started a draft blog post for the 0.16
release: https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/41

We'll need to fill in the sections. Feel free to push edits to my branch,
or you can also email me (personally is fine) and I can paste them in.

Neal

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
That sounds fine to me. I don't see many blocking issues for a major
release, and the nightly reports are fairly clean, so I think we
should try to be ready to go at the beginning of that week of the
19th.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
I just finished an initial curation of the JIRA backlog. There are now
137 issues which is probably more than will be resolved before
releasing. I noticed some concerning bugs that may need attention, but
if there are any new feature or nice-to-have issues that you are
familiar with please remove them from the 0.16.0 milestone if you
don't think they will be done in the next 7-10 days

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
<ne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we expect that the release process may be less stable this time, should
> we bump up our target date for an RC, like to the 20th or 21st (two weeks
> from now)? That would give us more leeway to make sure we get a release out
> before the end of January.
Agree.

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Wes. I made
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.16.0+Release to
help us track 0.16.

Neal

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Fan Liya <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

IMO we should focus on the 1.0 release while maintaining the
recently stabilized ~3 month release period:

0.12.0: 2019-01-20
0.13.0: 2019-04-01
0.14.0: 2019-07-04
0.15.0: 2019-10-05

So a 0.16.0 release sounds much more realistic to me at the
end of the next week or the week after.

Perhaps we could narrow the release period to ~2 months, to
re-evalute the blocking issues, and provide updates more
frequently.

- Krisztian

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Fan Liya <li...@gmail.com>.

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Fan Liya <li...@gmail.com>.
  Hi Jacques,

Re: Looking to 1.0

Posted by Ji Liu <ni...@aliyun.com.INVALID>.
Hi, Jacques Nadeau
I only found two tickets[1][2], and I am interested in these issues. If you don't mind, I would like to take a close watch and try to resolve later.

Thanks,
Ji Liu

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-7494
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-7495