Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/29 12:53:26 UTC

Callbacks and asynchronous invocations with REST(Was Re : Question on caching support for SOAP)

Hi Guy

Sorry, I did not want to hijack your original thread, but I wanted to do one
minor comment.

<snip/>

> We can't use REST since the services in question are all web services, some
> of them even asynchronous with call-backs for the response.

I thought I'd comment that whether a given web service uses SOAP or plain
HTTP is kind of orthogonal IMHO on whether it can handle asynchronous calls
or not, on the client or server sides. CXF helps SOAP developers a lot in
this regard, and CXF JAX-RS does not offer any explicit async support just
yet but I honestly see no reasons why users working with JAX-RS can not
write services capable of doing async responses or do a bit of old good and
actually simple enough thread programming on the client side if needed :-).
For example,   I'm working on a demo right now showing CXF JAX-RS clients
doing oneway invocations and thus getting 202s and with services proceeding
as needed. Such oneway calls can pass along the callback URIs, etc.

thanks, Sergey