Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2012/12/30 13:11:22 UTC

Endnote/Index in Writer

On the en-Forum it has just been pointed out to me that Endnotes place themselves at the End of a document; this prevents an alphabetical Index being placed there, which is the usual location for it.  Perhaps this should be considered for alteration in a forthcoming revision of Writer.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Endnote/Index in Writer

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 17:30:39 +0000
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> A further posting from the original poster on the en-Forum may be of interest:

Apologies!  It is a similar topic from a different poster, but still, I think, relevant to the problem of layout in OpenOffice of the end of a file using Endnotes/Index(es) and Appendices.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Endnote/Index in Writer

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:21:36 +0100
RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/12/30 TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>
>
> > On 12/30/2012 07:11, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> >

> >> On the en-Forum it has just been pointed out to me that Endnotes place
> >> themselves at the End of a document; this prevents an alphabetical Index
> >> being placed there, which is the usual location for it.  Perhaps this
> >> should be considered for alteration in a forthcoming revision of Writer.
> >>
> >>  Hi, Rory,
> >
> > Would a "fake" master doc (only one sub-document) be a quick way around
> > this problem?
>

> I don't think so. The only way to move endnotes from the end of the
> document is to enclose the whole document/chapter on a section configured
> to send the endnotes at the end of the section itself instead of the end of
> the document. While this workaround covers most user cases, there could be
> corner situations (a document already using lots of sections, for example
> to get variable number of columns) where this will not work as intended.
>
> Regards
> Ricardo
>

> > The endnotes should stay with the chapter, and the index, specified in the
> > master, should come last. (I don't use these features, so I can't say for
> > sure.)

A further posting from the original poster on the en-Forum may be of interest:

---------------------
Subject: User defined index goes in master doc? and sub docs?

Postby server85050 ยป 02 Jan 2013 17:22

I have no problems using the built in TOC index in a master doc because that index is also automatically in the index entry options of the sub docs. But if I put the user defined index in the master doc only, the sub doc does not show the user defined index as an option when doing an index entry.

In other words, if I want a user defined index in the master doc, do I have to also put a that user defined index by that same name in each of my 15 sub docs? But I don't want an user defined index showing in each chapter of the book, just at the end (at the end of the master doc when updated). I don't want an alphabetical index at the end (built-in option). I want a sequential index (a list of entries with page numbers) at the end of the book.

Where do I put the user define index so all the sub docs can see it and let me insert an index entry for that index. Clearly one belongs in the master doc at the end, but what about the sub docs. Putting an index in each sub doc seems redundant and confusing, especially if I do not want it to show-up in each sub doc. Writer is sure to have a fit over 16 user defined indexes with the same name.
----------------------------

<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58496>

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Endnote/Index in Writer

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Endnote/Index in Writer

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 08:00:46 -0500
TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On 12/30/2012 07:11, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> >
> > On the en-Forum it has just been pointed out to me that Endnotes place themselves at the End of a document; this prevents an alphabetical Index being placed there, which is the usual location for it.  Perhaps this should be considered for alteration in a forthcoming revision of Writer.
> >
> Hi, Rory,
>
> Would a "fake" master doc (only one sub-document) be a quick way around
> this problem? The endnotes should stay with the chapter, and the index,
> specified in the master, should come last. (I don't use these features,
> so I can't say for sure.)

My documents are simple book text with no internal funnies or illustrations, so I've never used Master Documents.  Having seen (on Forum) many reports of trouble with Master Documents, I'd hesitate to advise someone with a nearly finished text to transfer to a Master Document structure - it could turn to a can of worms!
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Endnote/Index in Writer

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.