Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2015/11/08 22:26:15 UTC

Experiment: Downloading 4.1.2 Source for Assessment of Its Zip Usage

This
<http://mirror.sdunix.com/apache/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoffice-4
.1.2-r1709696-src.zip>
as the recommended download for the 4.1.2 source Zip produces an HTTP 404.

I am downloading r1709696-src.zip from
<http://apache.arvixe.com/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoffice-4.1.2-r1
709696-src.zip>.

(This is for testing the Zip and re-zipping it if necessary.)

Attempting to access the asc, md5, and sha256 at, e.g.,
<https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoffice-4
.1.2-r1617669-src.zip.sha256>
all fail with HTTP 404.

The BACKUP sites listing on
<http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoff
ice-4.1.2-r1709696-src.zip>
provides links to the source download,
<http://www.us.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoffice-4.1
.2-r1709696-src.zip>
but does not explain how to get the asc, md5, and sha256 which is what that
section says these two sites should be used for.

Seeing what the failed URLs are, above, I found that
<http://www.us.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoffice-4.1
.2-r1709696-src.zip.asc>,
<http://www.us.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoffice-4.1
.2-r1709696-src.zip.md5>, and
<http://www.us.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoffice-4.1
.2-r1709696-src.zip.sha256>
sort of work.

These open in my browser and I must then be careful how to save them as
text, possibly renaming them to get the correct name on the saved file.  If
there were explicit links on the web page, I could request download of the
files as is.

In my case, even though I asked for the opened files to be saved as Text,
what I got was HTML in a text file.  I know how to fix the .asc so GnuPG
will recognize it correctly, though, after I also get the filenames as saved
this way to match the filename of the source.

Under VERIFY THE INTEGRITY OF THE FILES, no one is told how to get their
hands on any KEYS file, let-alone the one that applies to this release.
There is the small problem of learning what the gpg command line is for
verifying an external signature.

For my troubles, already having a PGP public key for Andrea Pescetti and not
bothering to figure out how to get KEYS, I arrived at

d:\>gpg2 --verify apache-openoffice-4.1.2-r1709696-src.zip.asc
apache-openoffice-4.1.2-r1709696-src.zip
gpg: Signature made 10/25/15 10:29:25 Pacific Daylight Time using RSA key ID
8F0E4C63
gpg: Good signature from "Andrea Pescetti (Release Signing Key)
<pe...@apache.org>" [full]

Of course, this simplification works if the user understands what is
involved in how the two filenames must match:

d:\>gpg2 --verify apache-openoffice-4.1.2-r1709696-src.zip.asc
gpg: Signature made 10/25/15 10:29:25 Pacific Daylight Time using RSA key ID
8F0E4C63
gpg: Good signature from "Andrea Pescetti (Release Signing Key)
<pe...@apache.org>" [full]

Much friction for a novice developer or anyone who wants to see the source
code and follow the procedure.  It is useful to consider that this is the
first time someone might be undertaking this kind of source-code download
and they might be quite intelligent, just operating where they have no
experience yet.  In any case, one would like to minimize the number of ways
someone ends up feeling stupid when attempting all of this.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    orcmid@apache.org
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

RE: Experiment: Downloading 4.1.2 Source for Assessment of Its Zip Usage

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Thanks for the quick repair, Andrea.

I started at <http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html> (from the front
page), used the sidebar link to Source, which got me to, and then when that
took me to
<http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/openoffice/4.1.2/source/apache-openoff
ice-4.1.2-r1709696-src.zip> and the recommended download didn't work, I
stayed on that page looking for what I described.

I concur that a good recommendation comes up for a download link now.  If I
remember to return to <http://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html>, I can
use "Save Target As" to download the associated asc, md5, and sha256 files.
I also found the KEYS file link on that page. (The meaningfulness of web of
trust to someone who is not in it is something to ponder later.)

That's much better although there is a dissonance when some of the links on
a file entry at <http://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html> go to download
pages and others provide files (not downloads) directly to the browser.

Much better than getting HTTP 404s though.  Thanks again.

 - Dennis

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.