Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by John Smith <lo...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/11 16:55:28 UTC

editing code with char completion

When I edit java code, I type an opening parenthesis followed by variable
or whatever and then it's time to get to the closing parenthesis. Netbeans
has put the closing parentheses there already which is handy. But now I
have to interrupt my flow; if I type the closing parenthesis, it adds one
and keeps the one to the right of the cursor... so now I have two. To
prevent that I have to stop typing and use my cursor or "end" key to get
past the auto inserted bracket.

When I edit javascript code, it works perfectly there? But for some reason
java code it never works.

I use Netbeans all day every day (professionally) and have used it since
3.5 so I'm not a new user. But maybe I'm just missing a checkbox somewhere
in the settings somewhere or something?

Ideally it would either skip past the auto inserted closing brackets, or
simply not insert them in the first place.

Any tips?

Re: editing code with char completion

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.
I suggest you have a look in the IDE logs. I got strange behavior in the
editor when I tried to run NB 12.6 on a JDK 8 due to class exception
raising in the background.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.