Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/08 16:59:12 UTC

^H not working for Replace function on MacOS

This is not new, it's been sort of plaguing me for some time, across NB
versions, across OSes.

Simply, Ctrl-H does not work for the Search/Replace function.

I press Ctrl-H and I just get a beep.

I have my Caps Lock key bound as my Ctrl Key, but that's not it as all of
the other Ctrl combinations work (NB shouldn't be able to detect that
anyway).

I don't know what makes ^H special in this case, or where I can look to fix
it.

It may very well be local to my configuration. I think it used to work on
my office mac, but it's not working on this one, or my previous one.

And I have no idea where to look to figure out what's going on.

If I remove the Application Support/Netbeans/12.4 folder, the IDE starts,
asks to import 12.2, and I say no. ^H works then.

I went to Preferences->Keymap->Manage Profiles->Netbeans->Reset Defaults,
and that didn't fix it either.

I tried exporting the Keymap, but nothing shows up there either.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Will Hartung

Re: ^H not working for Replace function on MacOS

Posted by Giles Winstanley <st...@snaq.net>.
I had the same issue a while back with a previous version of NB, and it
too plagued me for ages. I spent a while looking through macOS settings
etc. but to little avail (although still worth checking you don't have
any other key-mapping software/settings enabled).

TLDR: you can't have the cursor/focus in the editor, it has to be
elsewhere. Try moving focus to the files/navigator panel then pressing
Ctrl-H, and you should see results.

One for the future fix list, me thinks.

Stan

Posted by James Ostrowick <ja...@ostrowick.co.za>.
Hi Will,

What I’ve found is that you first have to use Command-F (Find) once you’ve entered some text into the find field, you can only then do Ctrl-H to replace.
Do Ctrl-H by itself does NOT work.

Kind Regards,
James Ostrowick

Re: Re: ^H not working for Replace function on MacOS

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
What version of Java and MacOS are in use? Have you done any recent MacOS updates? Java updates?

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Can we start by seeing if it works for you after changing the keymapping,
and then investigate further from there?

Gj

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.