Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by JamesCarroll <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2002/04/10 06:10:23 UTC

Why no newsgroups?

I'm kinda new to the ASF, and since there's no global list to post to I was
wondering if someone here can tell me why Apache uses mailing lists instead
of asking for newsgroups to be created? The one advantage I see is that
mailing lists are totally under ASF's control; that is they don't need to be
approved by a third party. Are there any other reasons?

Just wondering while creating yet more Outlook Express mail rules,

James Carroll

Re: Why no newsgroups?

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
> I'm kinda new to the ASF, and since there's no global list to post to I
was
> wondering if someone here can tell me why Apache uses mailing lists
instead
> of asking for newsgroups to be created? The one advantage I see is that
> mailing lists are totally under ASF's control; that is they don't need to
be
> approved by a third party. Are there any other reasons?

Not sure of the reasons. One thing is that people are more familar with Mail
than newsgroups. For example there are more SMTP/POP3 related mail and job
offers than NNTP related.

> mailing lists are totally under ASF's control; that is they don't need to
be
> approved by a third party. Are there any other reasons?

I don't think ASF would need NNTP groups to be approved by anyone if they
decide to host NNTP Server. They could create a space like comp.apache....
if they like and it would be easy to publish. It may be a good idea.

I am cross posting to the  infrastructure@apache.org, in case they are
interested.

Harmeet