Posted to users@maven.apache.org by be...@ubs.com on 2010/07/01 16:02:39 UTC

Multi Module Site Links

I am experiencing the common problem of links broken in multi module
sites with parent poms.

I understand that mvn site builds individual module sites but doesn't
link them, and the mvn site:deploy should repair the links.  The latter
however doesn't happen.

>From here http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/faq.html

Why don't the links between parent and child modules work when I run
"mvn site"?
What "mvn site" will do for you, in a multi-project build, is to run
"mvn site" for the parent and all its modules individually. The links
between parent and child will not work here. They will however work when
you deploy the site. If you want to test this, prior to deployment, you
can run the site:stage
<http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/stage-mojo.html>
goal as described in the usage documentation
<http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/usage.html>  instead.

Indeed, if I do a mvn site:stage then the site is built with links in
place from the parent to child.  However, a mvn site:deploy fails.

mvn clean site site:stage-deploy <-- Correct links
mvn clean site site:deploy <-- Incorrect links - all point at index.html

Any comments appreciated.  Is this behaviour by design as I may
contribute a patch if not.

Re: Multi Module Site Links

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-07-01 18:11, Benjamin Wootton wrote:
> Ah indeed it was the project/URL. I didn't realise that was actually used as part of the site generation. Removing it from the default value fixes up the links.
>
> Out of interest, is there any document that describes how the URL works in relation to sites. The pom reference describes it as "a nice gesture" for the project users.

AFAIK it is not documented. I'll add it to the Site Plugin FAQ, as this
question pops up on this list from time to time.

> Thanks again
>
> Ben
>
> On 1 Jul 2010, at 16:56, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> well one assumes that you have correctly defined the /project/url parameter.
>>
>> there are a number of multi-module releases at apache and codehaus all of
>> which deploy their site via
>>
>> mvn site-deploy
>>
>> or via mvn release:perform
>>
>> and I have not seen issues with the links in the deployed sites as long as
>> the /project/url xml value has been correctly defined / omitted for each
>> project in the multimodual build
>>
>> I have not tried with file:/// as a protocol onlt webdav via https:// [for
>> the mojo ones] and scp [for the apache ones]
>>
>> It might help if you shared what version of maven and the maven-site-plugin
>> you are using
>>
>> -Stephen
>>
>> On 1 July 2010 16:25, Benjamin Wootton <bs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stephen
>>>
>>> I am talking about the deployed site - though I'm actually deploying to a
>>> file:// URL on the same server. Would this make a difference over an scp?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ben

>>> latter

>>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/faq.html>