Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> on 2011/02/15 20:40:58 UTC

What is the most solid version of Cassandra? No secondary indexes needed.

Hello,

we are acquiring new hardware for our cluster and will be installing it
soon. It's likely that I won't need to rely on secondary index
functionality, as data will be write-once read-many and I can get away with
inverse index creation at load time, plus I have some more complex indexing
in mind than comes packaged (too much to explain here).

So, if I don't need indexes, what is the most stable, reliable version of
Cassandra that I can put in production? I'm seeing bug reports here and some
sound quite serious, I just want something that works day in, day out.

Thank you,

Maxim

Re: What is the most solid version of Cassandra? No secondary indexes needed.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@digg.com>.
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM, buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> wrote:
> So, if I don't need indexes, what is the most stable, reliable version of
> Cassandra that I can put in production? I'm seeing bug reports here and some
> sound quite serious, I just want something that works day in, day out.

Note : the following is my opinion only, and likely does not represent
the view of the Apache Cassandra project.

The most stable/production ready version of Cassandra is :

0.6.8

I have to say 0.6.8 instead of 0.6.6, because 0.6.8 contains the
(0.6.7-era) patch from CASSANDRA-1676, without which streaming is
broken. However.. 0.6.7 and 0.6.8 contain non-bugfix patches, and in
0.6.7's case there is a regression in that non-bugfix patch. Versions
of the 0.6 branch above 0.6.9 contain still more non-bugfix patches
and regressions. All extant 0.7 releases (0.7.0, 0.7.1) contain major
bugs. The most stable/safe version is, therefore, likely to be
"0.6.6+1676". If you are uncomfortable patching 1676 into 0.6.6
yourself, use 0.6.8.

=Rob

Re: What is the most solid version of Cassandra? No secondary indexes needed.

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
0.7.2 is just about to be released.

Aaron

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.
Thank you Attila!

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM, buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> wrote:

> Thank you! It's just that 7.1 seems the bleeding edge now (a serious bug
> fixed today). Would you still trust it as a production-level service? I'm
> just slightly concerned. I don't want to create a perception among our IT
> that the product is not ready for prime time.

You are not going to want to go through the 6.X API to 7.0 API
migration. I am still happily running 0.6.8 But I know I need the
features in 0.7.X. If i were starting today I would go with the 0.7.X
branch and be ready to do some minor updates in the next couple
months.

Re: What is the most solid version of Cassandra? No secondary indexes needed.

Posted by Javier Canillas <ja...@gmail.com>.
We have been running a 0.6.3 with some custom features for more than 1 month
and it has been running fine. we are planning on moving to 0.7.1 in about 1
month from now if it past our stress tests.

If you are really going from scratch to production environment, I would
definetly go with 0.7.1 after some heavy stress test, it will give you a
better migration process to any new version.

Javier Canillas

Posted by Matthew Dennis <md...@datastax.com>.
0.7.1 is what I would go with right now.  It's likely you'll eventually have
to upgrade that as well, but moving to other 0.7.x releases should be fairly
painless.  Most development is happening on the 0.7 releases, which already
have lots of fixes over the 0.6 series (not to mention performance
improvements and better logging in general).