Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by tm...@moneynet.com on 2001/08/23 17:48:08 UTC

What is the highest load you've given log4j?

Hi,

 I've been designing log4j into an event recorder system and have been
hitting it with somewhat of a high load ~2000 request/sec.

My log server is running:

1. Debian Linux 2.2 w/2.4.7 kernel patched for Mosix and ReiserFS
2. 512 Meg memory
3. X windows running GNOME desktop
4. JDK 1.3.1

The problem/issue I'm seeing is that when I send a request from my test
machine to my log server using TIBCO messaging. I'm seeing the CPU jump
around 90-100%.
When I stop the client from sending requests, it takes the log server
around 1 min to stop processing, sometimes longer.

I'm using an Async Appender which is using a FileAppender, I'm using the
default size of 128 for the AsyncBuffer. I've tried to increase this, but I
have to increase it to around 10000 elements before I get the log server to
keep up.

Has anyone else been using log4j in this type of load?

Thanks,
  - Tim
Timothy G. Mullé
Senior Software Architect