Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu> on 2000/11/29 06:47:46 UTC

Apache::SSI design questions

Hi,

A recent set of patches sent to me for Apache::SSI left me wondering
about a couple of design issues, so I thought I'd turn to the list.

1) Is it preferred to use POSIX::strftime() for time formatting, or
   Date::Format::strftime()?  One solution would be to dynamically load one
   or the other module according to which one is available, but I'd rather
   not do that.

2) One can use if, elif, exec, perl, and probably other directives to
   bring Perl's capabilities into SSI.  Currently I don't check INCNOEXEC to
   make sure that the configuration allows such things (it's not even clear
   that this is the correct flag to check anyway).  Nor do I even check
   INCLUDES in the first place.  Do people care about these things?  They
   seem to me like a bit of a flimsy defense against an uncommon enemy, but
   perhaps people are relying on them.

  -------------------                            -------------------
  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum

Apache config control using Perl?

Posted by Ben Heuer <be...@artlover.com>.
Hello:

I wonder if I need to do it using modperl, or can I do it in Apache's own
error logging. What I need is to log errors that occur with my website
(including access stuff, database errors - everything) that are seen by an
average user.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with this:

1. What LOGLEVEL should I specify for this? "Warn"?

2. How can I customise the line that gets added to the logs/error.log file?
Can I use somesort of the CustomLog for this? I need to prefix every line
wiht the name of my website, and to customize the error messages. Can this
be done?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Ben

Re: Apache::SSI design questions

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Bill Moseley wrote:

> At 11:47 PM 11/28/00 -0600, Ken Williams wrote:
> >1) Is it preferred to use POSIX::strftime() for time formatting, or
> >   Date::Format::strftime()?  One solution would be to dynamically load one
> >   or the other module according to which one is available, but I'd rather
> >   not do that.
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Why not Apache::Util::ht_time()?

Or if you need to run outside of mod_perl, Time::Object::strftime (which
doesn't load all of POSIX.pm, but is done in XS, so is faster/lighter than
Date::Format).

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **
     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\

Re: Apache::SSI design questions

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.
At 11:47 PM 11/28/00 -0600, Ken Williams wrote:
>1) Is it preferred to use POSIX::strftime() for time formatting, or
>   Date::Format::strftime()?  One solution would be to dynamically load one
>   or the other module according to which one is available, but I'd rather
>   not do that.

Hi Ken,

Why not Apache::Util::ht_time()?

Bill Moseley