Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/13 04:37:53 UTC

[DISCUSSION] 1.0.0 library change

Responding in a second email (wanted to keep the original data clean).

>  A asm-3.2.jar

This is one of the libraries we intentionally repackage (xbean-asm) in order to avoid library conflicts with other popular libs (like hibernate).

I'll have a look to see what is pulling in asm and see if it can be removed.

>  A gson-2.1.jar

Do we still need this?  If so we'll need it listed in all of our NOTICE files for the tomee wars, tomee zips, and openejb standalone zips.

> apache-tomee 1.0.0 plus
>
>  A aether-api-1.13.1.jar
>  A aether-connector-wagon-1.13.1.jar
>  A aether-impl-1.13.1.jar
>  A aether-spi-1.13.1.jar
>  A aether-util-1.13.1.jar
>  A google-collections-1.0.jar
>  A httpclient-4.1.2.jar
>  A httpcore-4.1.2.jar
>  A jline-0.9.94.jar
>  A jsoup-1.6.1.jar
>  A maven-aether-provider-3.0.4.jar
>  A maven-model-3.0.4.jar
>  A maven-model-builder-3.0.4.jar
>  A maven-repository-metadata-3.0.4.jar
>  A mina-core-2.0.2.jar
>  A openejb-common-cli-4.0.0.jar
>  A openejb-provisionning-4.0.0.jar
>  A openejb-ssh-4.0.0.jar
>  A ops4j-base-lang-1.2.3.jar
>  A ops4j-base-util-collections-1.2.3.jar
>  A ops4j-base-util-property-1.2.3.jar
>  A ops4j-base-util-xml-1.2.3.jar
>  A pax-url-maven-commons-1.3.5.jar
>  A plexus-classworlds-2.4.jar
>  A plexus-component-annotations-1.5.5.jar
>  A plexus-container-default-1.5.5.jar
>  A plexus-interpolation-1.14.jar
>  A plexus-utils-2.0.6.jar
>  A sisu-guice-3.0.3-no_aop.jar
>  A sisu-inject-bean-2.2.3.jar
>  A sisu-inject-plexus-2.2.3.jar
>  A slf4j-jdk14-1.6.4.jar
>  A sshd-core-0.6.0.jar
>  A wagon-file-2.2.jar
>  A wagon-http-2.2.jar
>  A wagon-http-shared4-2.2.jar
>  A wagon-provider-api-2.2.jar

This is really where we need the most discussion.  There are some challenges:

 - 37 new libraries is a lot to legally screen (each will need NOTICE file additions and possibly a couple LICENSE additions).  This will take a week or more as everyone on the PMC is legally required to review this information for accuracy before they can vote.
 - 37 new libraries is a lot to add prior to a final with no previous beta exposure.
 - 1.0 final is maybe not the best term for functionality that is really an alpha or beta.
 - Could apply to all distros: no easy way to add this functionality to TomEE WebProfile or OpenEJB Standalone.

I see two basic solutions, more are possible, but here goes:

 1.  Leave things the way they are and hold 1.0 till all can be legally screened.  This would be a 1.0 final feature of TomEE+ only.
 2.  Hold this functionality till it can be legally screened.  Release it as an alpha or beta, possibly in the form of a zip that can be extracted into a TomEE, TomEE+, or OpenEJB install.
 3.  Other (insert proposal here :)

Thoughts?

-David

Re: [DISCUSSION] 1.0.0 library change

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
it downloads the zip and install it for next starts (like the
provisionning.properties). That's just a simpler way to do so

- Romain

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks