Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> on 2011/08/01 06:57:40 UTC

Re: follow up Hadoop mavenization work

HADOOP-6671 has now received two +1s (one from Eric Yang and one from
me), so I would like to commit it on Tuesday at 16:00 GMT
(http://s.apache.org/6nx). I'll also update the Jenkins jobs for
running test-patch and performing the nightly build.

For developers this change will mean that you need to use Maven to
build Hadoop Common. The build instructions are listed in the
BUILDING.txt file in the patch, as well as at
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute and
http://s.apache.org/wb.

Note that HDFS and MapReduce will still use Ant for building, but
follow on JIRAs HDFS-2096 and MAPREDUCE-2607 will introduce Maven to
those builds in the near future. (In terms of staging, it makes sense
for MAPREDUCE-2607 to go in after MAPREDUCE-279, since the MR2 work
uses Maven to build its new modules, so the Mavenization of MapReduce
should build on that work.)

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
HADOOP-6671 is now in trunk. After you do an update you will need to
use Maven 3 to build Common. There are instructions at

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-common/BUILDING.txt

HDFS and MapReduce still use Ant, and the instructions for
cross-project builds are in
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute.

Please send any questions/ideas for improvements, etc to the dev list.

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.