Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Cleveland, Seth" <se...@amd.com> on 2008/04/16 19:23:03 UTC

Message loss in Network of Brokers with Duplex Connections

With version activemq (FUSE Message Broker - Version 5.0.0.9) I see data
loss with network of brokers and duplex connections.

I have a brokers running on three machines A, B, and C.  The brokers are
connected as follows, A -> B and A -> C.  In addition, duplex is true on
both connections.  I have a producer for a queue on machine A and
consumers for that queue on both B and C.  When I send a few hundred
messages through the producer, I find that some percentage (roughly
10-20%) of the messages are consumed by the consumers on B or C.  And
the rest have disappeared.

Looking at the queues in Jconsole, it appears the lost messages bounce
between B and C through the duplex connections until the networkTTL goes
to zero on the message.

I have tried a combination of dynamicOnly and conduitSubscriptions
without success.

Is this kind of configuration expected to work in activemq?

If so, what's the right way to configure this?

Thanks,

Seth

svn checkout problems

Posted by "Cleveland, Seth" <se...@amd.com>.
I'm having problems checking out the activemq code.  Is there something
broken upstream?

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/trunk/ activemq
A    activemq/assembly/src/release/webapps/index.html
svn: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default': Compressed response was
truncated (https://svn.apache.org)

RE: Message loss in Network of Brokers with Duplex Connections

Posted by "Cleveland, Seth" <se...@amd.com>.
Let's assume networkTTL=1 solves my original problem.  Extending the
problem statement to better represent my use-case.

4 brokers (A, B, C, and D) with connections and producers/consumers as
follows:

A -> B
A -> C
D -> B
D -> C

Duplex = true
networkTTL = 5
Is set for all connections.

A: q1 producer, q2 producer
B: q1 producer, q2 consumer
C: q1 producer, q2 consumer
D: q1 consumer

Different combinations of dynamicOnly and conduitSubscriptions haven't
helped.  I observe a lot of lost messages.  I'm not sure if this is
related, however, when I look at the number of consumers on q1 in
Jconsole on any of the brokers, it says there are 3 total consumers.

Is this configuration expected to work?
If so, what am I missing?

Thanks,
Seth

On 16 Apr 2008, at 18:23, Cleveland, Seth wrote:

> With version activemq (FUSE Message Broker - Version 5.0.0.9) I see
> data
> loss with network of brokers and duplex connections.
>

> I have a brokers running on three machines A, B, and C.  The brokers
> are
> connected as follows, A -> B and A -> C.  In addition, duplex is
> true on
> both connections.  I have a producer for a queue on machine A and
> consumers for that queue on both B and C.  When I send a few hundred
> messages through the producer, I find that some percentage (roughly
> 10-20%) of the messages are consumed by the consumers on B or C.  And
> the rest have disappeared.
>

> Looking at the queues in Jconsole, it appears the lost messages bounce
> between B and C through the duplex connections until the networkTTL
> goes
> to zero on the message.
>

> I have tried a combination of dynamicOnly and conduitSubscriptions
> without success.
>

> Is this kind of configuration expected to work in activemq?
>
> If so, what's the right way to configure this?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Seth

Yes this should work - though it seems that the networkTTL should be 1
for this configuration ?

cheers,

Rob

http://open.iona.com/ -Enterprise Open Integration
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/

Re: Message loss in Network of Brokers with Duplex Connections

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.