Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by "Hider, Sandy" <Sa...@jhuapl.edu> on 2013/10/14 22:07:43 UTC

Hook for Mapper kill

I know the task tracker frequently kill mappers.  During the mapper setup we are kicking off a runtime executable and passing data to and from it within the mapper using unix named pipes.
This works OK until a mappers are killed.  Currently when this happens the standalone executable is left as a zombie process taking up resources.

Is there any way for my mapper to be notified of the kill and allow it to shutdown the executable before being killed off?  A shutdown hook of some kind?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Re: Hook for Mapper kill

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
There isn't anything in the API as such. You could register your own JVM shut-down hook which does it.

OTOH, if you are running this on Linux and a setsid binary is available, Hadoop itself will take care of killing these additional processes - it kills the whole session in this case.

Thanks,
+Vinod

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE