Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2002/08/07 10:01:06 UTC

[VOTE] De-Instrument Fortress, Pool (was: RE: Problem with asynchronous disposing in fortress)

I'd like to call a vote for

 + removing instrumentation from Fortress and Pool.

 + removing it from GUMP.

Both of the above only temporarily.

Reasons:

 + Doesn't build. We've had daily GUMP complains for quite a while now,
and
   I am greeted with the following:

compile:
    [javac] Compiling 17 source files to
C:\Home\leo\private\Apache\jakarta-aval
on-excalibur\pool\build\classes
    [javac]
C:\Home\leo\private\Apache\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\pool\src\java\or
g\apache\avalon\excalibur\pool\ResourceLimitingPool.java:12: cannot
resolve symb
ol
    [javac] symbol  : class CounterInstrument
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.CounterInstrument;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
C:\Home\leo\private\Apache\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\pool\src\java\or
g\apache\avalon\excalibur\pool\ResourceLimitingPool.java:13: cannot
resolve symb
ol
    ... AND SO ON ...

    [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
    [javac] 23 errors

 + I don't think that a supposedly production-quality package such as
   Fortress should be dependent on something as flaky as Instrument.

 + Not maintained. The instrument package has sort of fallen between
   chairs. Day after day we get GUMP complaints, and nothing is fixed.
   This indicates that the package isn't used, or isn't maintained by
   anyone. If this is because the author has a temporary hectic time
   or whatever isn't important - the end result is that depending on
   this package just isn't a very safe bet anymore.

---------------------

I am willing to do the de-instrumentation (just comment it out) and fix
the
async disposal bug, but as it is now I don't have the hours it takes to
fix
the build and then fix the async bug.

/LS

RE: [VOTE] De-Instrument Fortress, Pool (was: RE: Problem with asynchronous disposing in fortress)

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
Leif,

I understand that the Instrument package is solid as far as the code in
it
is concerned. But the GUMP failures (I just got one for
Excalibur-component)
means that I'm not the only one having problems with the instrument
package.

What I meant by flaky was this:

 + Instrument build is broken.

 + It is not fixed.

 + So Fortress won't build.

Given that our build process is, as far as I can see, damaged. I want to
reduce the number of dependencies for Fortress. One idea would be to
move
Instrumentable + its deps. to framework. That would eliminate one
dependency
for Fortress, and move the parts that are most stable of instrument away
from the not-quite-as-stable parts of instrument.

I am willing to do these refactorings. I am also willing to tear out
all instrument references from Fortress in order to make it build so
I can fix the async disposal bug.

But I am not willing to go through the dep. chain of:

  Fix async bug -> fix fortress build -> fix instrument build ->
  fix excalibur build system -> god knows what.

I want to put in an 8 line fix in command manager, and I have to do
all the above. What utter crap. A 2 minute fix has become a 4 hour
fix. And I don't have time, and so I give up and let the bug remain
unfixed.

What utter crap result.

/LS

> From: Leif Mortenson [mailto:leif@tanukisoftware.com]
>

> > + I don't think that a supposedly production-quality package such as
> >   Fortress should be dependent on something as flaky as Instrument.
> >
> The instrument package esp the code in instrument.jar is
> actually quite
> stable and has been in use for
> quite some time.
>
> Berin merged the 3 indstrument projects into a single package
> a couple
> weeks ago and there have
> been some build problems that were caused by that because the
> projects
> were not being built in
> the correct order.  There may also have been some problems
> with Fortress
> over the last couple
> days as I have been doing a lot of work there.
>
> The errors you were seeing were clearly not Instrument
> errors, they were
> simple class not found
> errors.  Which usually means that a jar is missing.  So the
> question is
> why isnt the pool project
> finding the instrument jars when it is being built.  That had been
> working for months.
>
> I was able to get the full excalibur build working last night from a
> clean build without any problems.
> Where are you seeing the errors?  Only in GUMP? or from a
> manual build.
>   Most likely the problems
> are simple misconfiguration of gump.
>
> Sorry for all the problems, I had not realized that GUMP was failing
> because of this.
>
> I just checked again, the latest failure is still because Cocoon is
> missing or something.
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/jakarta-avalon-ex
calibur.html
[java] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/cocoon/Main

Where is it that you are seeing the failures?

I looked at the gump.xml but there isn't even a reference to fortress in

there.  The "excalibur-pool"
project entry is correctly depending on instrument.  Looking at the
dependencies of the instrument
project they were wrong up until the changes that I made yesterday.  So
that should also be fine
with just framework and altrmi.

I am not seeing the problem from what you posted.

Leif

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] De-Instrument Fortress, Pool (was: RE: Problem with asynchronous disposing in fortress)

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

>Funny, I haven't seen any GUMP complaints...  And the problem
>was not with the code, but with the CVS version of ANT.

I was surprised as well.  There was just one with excalibur-component
that was my fault.
But I just broke that last night merging the ICM into the ECM.

I committed a fix and explained it in the GUMP failure thread.
 Hopefully that fixes it.

Is there a way to test GUMP builds other than waiting for the nightly
build?  I always
try to be careful about not breaking the regular build...  But it hard
to catch everything
with the GUMP builds just by looking at gump.xml

Leif

RE: [VOTE] De-Instrument Fortress, Pool (was: RE: Problem with asynchronous disposing in fortress)

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> Funny, I haven't seen any GUMP complaints...  And the problem
> was not with the code, but with the CVS version of ANT.

Not instrument build, but something has changed that broke:

This email is autogenerated from the output from:
<http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-08-07/excalibur-component.ht
ml>

Buildfile: build.xml

dependencies:

compile:
    [mkdir] Created dir:
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/build/classes
    [javac] Compiling 19 source files to
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/build/classes
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:21: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class CounterInstrument
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.CounterInstrument;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:22: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.Instrumentable;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:23: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.InstrumentManager;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:24: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class ValueInstrument
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.ValueInstrument;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
12: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.Instrument;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
13: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.Instrumentable;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
27: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]     implements Instrumentable
    [javac]                ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:44: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class ValueInstrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler
    [javac]     private ValueInstrument m_referencesInstrument;
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:47: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class CounterInstrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler
    [javac]     private CounterInstrument m_getsInstrument;
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:50: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class CounterInstrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler
    [javac]     private CounterInstrument m_putsInstrument;
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:114: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler
    [javac]
final InstrumentManager instrumentManager,
    [javac]
^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
64: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]     protected void addInstrument( Instrument instrument )
    [javac]                                   ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
84: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]     protected void addChildInstrumentable( Instrumentable
child )
    [javac]                                            ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
134: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]     public final Instrumentable[] getChildInstrumentables()
    [javac]                  ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
160: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]     public final Instrument[] getInstruments()
    [javac]                  ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:37: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.Instrumentable;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:38: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManageable
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.InstrumentManageable;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:39: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.InstrumentManager;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:86: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory
    [javac]     private InstrumentManager m_instrumentManager;
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:143: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory
    [javac]                                     final InstrumentManager
instrumentManager,
    [javac]                                           ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:32: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.Instrument;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:33: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.Instrumentable;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:34: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManageable
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.InstrumentManageable;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:35: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.InstrumentManager;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:56: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManageable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]     InstrumentManageable,
    [javac]     ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:57: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]     Instrumentable
    [javac]     ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:92: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]     private InstrumentManager m_instrumentManager;
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:630: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]     public void setInstrumentManager( InstrumentManager
instrumentManager )
    [javac]                                       ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:677: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]     public Instrument[] getInstruments()
    [javac]            ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:691: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]     public Instrumentable[] getChildInstrumentables()
    [javac]            ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:34: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.Instrument;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:35: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.Instrumentable;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:36: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManageable
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.InstrumentManageable;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:37: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.InstrumentManager;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:59: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManageable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]     InstrumentManageable,
    [javac]     ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:60: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]     Instrumentable
    [javac]     ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:110:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]     private InstrumentManager m_instrumentManager;
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:515:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManager
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]     public void setInstrumentManager( final
InstrumentManager instrumentManager )
    [javac]                                             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:562:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]     public Instrument[] getInstruments()
    [javac]            ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:576:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]     public Instrumentable[] getChildInstrumentables()
    [javac]            ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
139: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : variable Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]             return
Instrumentable.EMPTY_INSTRUMENTABLE_ARRAY;
    [javac]                    ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
143: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]             Instrumentable[] children = new Instrumentable[
m_childList.size() ];
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
143: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]             Instrumentable[] children = new Instrumentable[
m_childList.size() ];
    [javac]                                             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
165: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : variable Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]             return Instrumentable.EMPTY_INSTRUMENT_ARRAY;
    [javac]                    ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
169: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]             Instrument[] instruments = new Instrument[
m_instrumentList.size() ];
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentable.java:
169: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.AbstractDualLogEnabledInstrumentab
le
    [javac]             Instrument[] instruments = new Instrument[
m_instrumentList.size() ];
    [javac]                                            ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:166: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler
    [javac]         ((Instrumentable)handler).setInstrumentableName(
instrumentableName );
    [javac]           ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:209: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class ValueInstrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler
    [javac]         addInstrument( m_referencesInstrument = new
ValueInstrument( "references" ) );
    [javac]                                                     ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:210: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class CounterInstrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler
    [javac]         addInstrument( m_getsInstrument = new
CounterInstrument( "gets" ) );
    [javac]                                               ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ComponentHandler.java:211: cannot resolve
symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class CounterInstrument
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler
    [javac]         addInstrument( m_putsInstrument = new
CounterInstrument( "puts" ) );
    [javac]                                               ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:215: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManageable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory
    [javac]         if( ( component instanceof InstrumentManageable ) &&
( m_instrumentManager != null ) )
    [javac]                                    ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:217: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class InstrumentManageable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory
    [javac]             ( (InstrumentManageable)component
).setInstrumentManager( m_instrumentManager );
    [javac]                ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:271: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory
    [javac]         if( component instanceof Instrumentable )
    [javac]                                  ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:273: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory
    [javac]             Instrumentable instrumentable =
(Instrumentable)component;
    [javac]             ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:273: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory
    [javac]             Instrumentable instrumentable =
(Instrumentable)component;
    [javac]                                              ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/DefaultComponentFactory.java:279: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory
    [javac]                     (Instrumentable)component,
m_instrumentableName );
    [javac]                      ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:679: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : variable Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]         return Instrumentable.EMPTY_INSTRUMENT_ARRAY;
    [javac]                ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:695: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]         Instrumentable[] children = new Instrumentable[
values.size() ];
    [javac]         ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentManager.java:695: cannot
resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager
    [javac]         Instrumentable[] children = new Instrumentable[
values.size() ];
    [javac]                                         ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:564:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : variable Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]         return Instrumentable.EMPTY_INSTRUMENT_ARRAY;
    [javac]                ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:580:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]         Instrumentable[] children = new Instrumentable[
values.size() ];
    [javac]         ^
    [javac]
/home/rubys/jakarta/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apac
he/avalon/excalibur/component/ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:580:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Instrumentable
    [javac] location: class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
    [javac]         Instrumentable[] children = new Instrumentable[
values.size() ];
    [javac]                                         ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
    [javac] 62 errors

RE: [VOTE] De-Instrument Fortress, Pool (was: RE: Problem with asynchronous disposing in fortress)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.