Posted to user@ant.apache.org by li...@bitfaeule.net on 2005/08/09 15:40:26 UTC

zip- task on osx breaks permissions

Hello all,

I need to zip a the contents of a folder on Mac OSX (10.[3|4]) Unfortunatly permissions are broken (executables are no longer executable) after I unpack my zipped components and empty directories are gone.  This breaks my deliverables.

If I call zip on the command line I have no such poblems. Can I use the ant zip task and keep the original permissions or do I need to wrap teh zip task in an exec-task?

Is this a bug in the zip-task?

here is my cpde:
<zip destfile="${archiveFullPath}${buildNumber}.zip" basedir="${feature.base}" excludes=".DS_Store,**/*test*/**"/>

thanks for help.

jacques

Re: zip- task on osx breaks permissions

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Jeffrey E Care wrote:
> If you need to preserve existing permissions then it's probably easiest to
> use <exec> to run the native zip/tar on your platform.
>
> If you only need to set permissions on certain files then you can use a
> nested <zipfileset> to manually set permissions on those files in the
> archive.
>
> Given that Java does not (currently) have a notion of file permissions,
> it's unreasonable to expect Java code for *any* archive format to preserve
> permissions. Ant makes a decent compromise with <zipfileset>, but until
> JSR 203 is delivered (http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=203) I don't
> know what else Ant can do.

I didnt know about JSR203...interesting. but even then, I fear that
whatever cygwin does to mimic unix permissions out of NTFS ACLs will
still raise endless bugreps, unless a version of Java ships with cygwin
awareness.

Re: zip- task on osx breaks permissions

Posted by Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>.

--