Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org> on 2003/11/17 23:56:07 UTC

Hi All

Hi all.

David and Ted told me that I wasn't allowed to be as awed by XMLBeans
(after David's presentation at ApacheCon) as I am without contributing
to it =)

I think Ted physically hit me at one point ;-)

-Brian

Re: Hi All

Posted by Calvin Powers <ca...@cspowers.com>.
David Bau wrote:

>A bunch of various ideas for XMLBeans enhancements were floated by folks
>after the talk at apachecon - I don't remember them all, but I hope folks
>start subscribing here and will share the ideas on the list.
>
>David

I'm curious whether there might be any advantages to using JXPath in
XMLBeans.  Seemes like there's an opportunity to reduce some duplicate
code by doing so. But I don't know nearly enough about either project to
say one way or another.

But for now, I'm just trying to figure out how to build this stuff from
within Eclipse. It seems that Eclipse doesn't like the directory layout
of the current code base. I've been able to launch the ant build from
withing Eclipse and it seems to build ok. But it's not heavily
integrated with Eclipses. But you can edit your files, then launch a
build which will kick off the ant build.

Next up for me is to figure out a way to launch the built command line
tools like the schema compiler and validator so that if you have have an
xsd file in Eclipse, the tool automagically recompiles the xsd file into
Java classes and then compiles the Java classes.  fun fun fun.

Calvin Powers

Re: Hi All

Posted by Calvin Powers <ca...@cspowers.com>.

Re: Hi All

Posted by David Bau <da...@bea.com>.
Welcome Brian,

Glad you enjoyed the apachecon talk!   Nice thing about xmlbeans-dev is that
physical violence is impossible over smtp :-).  What areas of XMLBeans
interest you?

There is a bunch of stuff that could be looked into.  (And this is for
anybody who is interested in contributing.)

For example, does the validator interest you?

XMLBeans has a useful validator, but I noticed today that it doesn't seem to
be reporting line numbers for validation errors correctly...  Line number
infrastructure is in there but may have been dependent on Piccolo.  The
validator would be much more useful if somebody looked into the line number
issue.

And there is other interesting stuff that would make the validator more
useful.  For example, some folks sometimes say "it would be nice if the
validator reported a suggestion in additon to just an error". For example,
the validator currently reports messages like "element <a> not allowed
here".  But it would be nice if were somehow able to say "element <b> should
occur before element <a>" or "element <a> appears to be misspelled.
expecting element <A>".  Or that sort of "more useful" error message.

Re: Hi All