Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by kylepetersen <ky...@brookingselectric.com> on 2008/01/17 23:19:49 UTC

Integrate Spamassassin with James?

Hi All,

I'm looking to integrate Spamassassin 3.2.4 into James 2.3.1 on Windows XP
sp2.

I currently have both running, although Spamassassin is merely installed --
not taking, or filtering, or sending any meaningful output to James.

I know similar questions have been posted in the past, and I see that the
issue appears to be resolved in the upcoming release of James 3.0, but other
than the apparent upcoming fix in 3.0, I haven't seen any recent talk of
James & Spamassassin working harmoniously together.  At least nothing that
my simple mind can comprehend (I can't really "build").

Any simple solutions out there?

Regards,
Kyle

Re: ISwJ, MySQL out of box?

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:35:02 -0800 (PST), kylepetersen
<ky...@brookingselectric.com> wrote:

> David Legg wrote:
>>

>> You'll need to have MySQL installed on your server as the filter uses
>> that to manage the corpus (the body of email it compares new emails to).
>>

> Any good noob-proof docs for configuring MySQL to work out of the box,
and
> can I use it for the Bayesian corpus only?  I'm currently using (I guess
> obvious since I don't have MySQL installed) file repository as my users'
> inbox.

a good starting point whould be www.mysql.org. Anyway you could use derby
if you not want to install mysql. Derby is included in james dist. And yes
you can store users/email to in db.
Read the config.xml comments to understand better what todo..
Maybe this is usefull too:

http://james.apache.org/server/2.3.1/using_database.html

bye
Norman

Re: ISwJ, MySQL out of box?

Posted by kylepetersen <ky...@brookingselectric.com>.
Thanks Mark,

I've gotten MySQL setup & integrated, Bayesian filtering is working very,
very well!  The trick was needing to download the latest Connector/J from
mysql and installing (copying) into the james/lib directory & /system32
directory myself (one or the other, been a few days I'm fuzzy on it
already).  At any rate, it's all working.

I have another question, but it's off topic so I'll start a new thread.

Thanks again to you & everyone else who's replied to this thread, you've all
been great resources!

/r
Kyle

Re: ISwJ, MySQL out of box?

Posted by Mark Nijland <ma...@cybersci.com>.
Installing mySQL on WinXP is easy. For use with James you need to do several
things - this is how I approached it:

1. Download the GUI tools from MySQL for MySQL administration - can help in
the beginning
2. Create a MySQL database called "mail"
3. Create a user for James in MySQL and assign it the appropriate rights for
the db "mail" (look in James docs). Initially this user should have the
right to create tables (I think that right can be removed once James has
setup the tables - up to you I guess).
4. Add settings to James config.xml:
4a. data-source - use the defaults, change the user and password to those
set in 3. above. My dburl reads
"jdbc:mysql://localhost/mail?autoReconnect=true" where "/mail" refers to the
db created in 2 above.
4b. user-store : repository - uncomment the example db settings, comment out
file repository settings (only 1 repository should be used).
5. Start James from the command line, solve any errors. Once up and running,
checkout the mail database in MySQL. The user table should have been
created.
6. Connect to James using the telnet admin interface, use help and
add/manage users. These will be added to the "user" table in your db.

You should be on your way. I setup all repositories to use MySQL, including
Bayesian spam filtering. If you're going that way you will need SMTP enabled
and a mail client that uses James as the SMTP server so that you can train
the filter...

Cheers

Re: ISwJ, MySQL out of box?

Posted by kylepetersen <ky...@brookingselectric.com>.

Re: Integrate Spamassassin with James?

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
kylepetersen wrote:
> Can you point me to a procedure for Bayesian filter usage on James?  I've
> seen it mentioned in the config.xml file (James' config.xml, that is), so it
> seems to already be a part of James?

Yes that's right.  The Bayesian analysis filter started appearing a
couple of releases ago.  I think it was contributed by Vincenzo
Gianferrari Pini who did most of the work on it.

The web page describing it is on the Wiki [1].

You'll need to have MySQL installed on your server as the filter uses
that to manage the corpus (the body of email it compares new emails to).

Essentially, when you receive a message that you consider to be spam you
forward the email as an attachment (to preserve all its contents) to a
special email address.  Every ten minutes the Bayesian mailet checks for
any new messages you have sent it and begins the training process.
Likewise if you receive an email that is 'ham' (a good email) you
forward it to the special ham email address.

Your server can then be set up to compare incoming emails against this
database of good and back exemplars and processed as you wish.  I have
mine set up to delete emails which the system thinks are 50% or more
likely to be spam.  For some people they prefer to keep these emails in
a separate mailbox in case 'good' emails fail the test.  I did this at
first as well but for me the false positives became so rare I thought I
could live with it.  In any case I've reduced the chances of false
positives still further by enabling whitelist processing.  This
essentially disables spam processing for any messages received from
people I have sent messages to before.

You may find like me that, at first, killing spam becomes a passion and
you find yourself reading up on all sorts of schemes for killing it...
like: -

  Spam Url Realtime Block Lists - [2]
  Tarpitting [3]
  Teergrubing [4]
  SMTP transaction delays [5]
  Sender Policy Framework [6]
  Greylisting [7]

However,  I can save you the trouble of hurting your eyes any further
and recommend Bayesian Analysis!  You should keep in mind though that
unlike some of the methods I have listed Bayesian Analysis is not really
suitable for those situations where a server is handling a lot of
individual accounts.  Different people may inflict different spam on
themselves as a result of their online behaviour.  To work effectively
in that case every user would have to be in charge of updating the
filter for their own spam and that is a recipe for disaster.

Regards,
- David.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/james/Bayesian_Analysis
[2] http://www.surbl.org/
[3] http://www.palomine.net/qmail/tarpit.html
[4] http://www.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/usenet/teergrube.en.html
[5] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Spam-Filtering-for-MX/smtpdelays.html
[6] http://www.openspf.org/svn/project/specs/rfc4408.html
[7] http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/whitepaper.html

Re: Integrate Spamassassin with James?

Posted by kylepetersen <ky...@brookingselectric.com>.

David Legg wrote:

> Kyle,
>
>> I'm looking to integrate Spamassassin 3.2.4 into James
>> Any simple solutions out there?
>>

> Not wishing to dissuade you from using Spamassassin... but I can
> heartily recommend you try out the Bayesian analysis filter to rid
> yourself of spam ;-)  Sure it takes a little effort to keep feeding it,
> at first, but it settles down very quickly and is very effective.
>
> - David.

I've pretty much dissuaded myself from using Spamassassin at this point -
I've spent two days reading blogs, forums, etc. and no luck.  My eyes hurt.

Can you point me to a procedure for Bayesian filter usage on James?  I've
seen it mentioned in the config.xml file (James' config.xml, that is), so it
seems to already be a part of James?

-Kyle

Re: Integrate Spamassassin with James?

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.