Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gary Feidt <Ga...@childrensmn.org> on 2006/01/18 15:28:08 UTC

Intro to JSTL

Hello Everybody,

I've been developing Struts applications for a couple of years (the
last using Struts 1.2.4), but have not used JSTL.  Is JSTL the next
logical progression?  Is there a good place to start learning JSTL?  Any
good books, or web sites?  All the standard question to get started.

Thanks,

Gary Feidt
__________________________________

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this email/fax is not the intended recipient or his or her agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If you have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email or destroying this facsimile immediately.

Re: Intro to JSTL

Posted by Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com>.
JSTL(JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library) is the Library of Tags those are
simillar to the Tags you used in Struts Based JSPs like html,logic,bean
etc..

On 1/18/06, Gary Feidt <Ga...@childrensmn.org> wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I've been developing Struts applications for a couple of years (the
> last using Struts 1.2.4), but have not used JSTL.  Is JSTL the next
> logical progression?  Is there a good place to start learning JSTL?  Any
> good books, or web sites?  All the standard question to get started.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Feidt
> __________________________________
>
> Confidentiality Statement:
> This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
> proprietary information and may be used only by the person or entity to
> which it is addressed. If the reader of this email/fax is not the intended
> recipient or his or her agent, the reader is hereby notified that any
> dissemination, distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If
> you have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender by
> replying to this message and deleting this email or destroying this
> facsimile immediately.

Thanks & Regards
Srinivas
732-648-9421(Cell)

Re: Intro to JSTL

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 1/18/06, Gary Feidt <Ga...@childrensmn.org> wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I've been developing Struts applications for a couple of years (the
> last using Struts 1.2.4), but have not used JSTL.  Is JSTL the next
> logical progression?  Is there a good place to start learning JSTL?  Any
> good books, or web sites?  All the standard question to get started.

Using JSTL instead of Struts tags makes sense because:
* JSTL is a standard, while having similar functionality
* JSTL does not depend on Struts, so you can preserve your pages if
you decide to switch from Struts to something else
* Imho JSTL have less idiosyncrasies than Struts tags.

One thing to remember is that Struts html tags create proper element
name with dots, brackets and stuff, so it can be processed on input,
and your nested objects can be populated. JSTL does not do that, which
is the suckiest part of it. It allows you only to display, but not to
input. To do input, you are on your own, you have to generate proper
element names and use BeanUtils or something similar to populate your
objects.

Michael.

Re: Intro to JSTL

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
> Gary Feidt wrote the following on 1/18/2006 9:28 AM:
>
> I've been developing Struts applications for a couple of years (the
> last using Struts 1.2.4), but have not used JSTL.  Is JSTL the next
> logical progression?  Is there a good place to start learning JSTL?  Any
> good books, or web sites?

JSTL is, IMO, one of those things that isn't revolutionary and isn't
likley to substantially change how you do things, but it *is* a nice
addition to the toolbox.

I haven't been using it for too long myself to be honest, but I have done
a few smaller apps with it and am right now in the process of retrofiting
a rather large app with it (one that hadn't been using even the Struts
tags).  It definitely helps, so in answer to your question about whether
its the next logical progression, I'd say yes, if you've been using Struts
for a while it probably is.  You should be able to get away from all the
taglibs except HTML by using JSTL, and by itself that's a nice
progression.

Frank

Re: Intro to JSTL

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Gary Feidt wrote the following on 1/18/2006 9:28 AM:

> I've been developing Struts applications for a couple of years (the
> last using Struts 1.2.4), but have not used JSTL.  Is JSTL the next
> logical progression?  Is there a good place to start learning JSTL?  Any
> good books, or web sites?

I liked this book Core JSTL: Mastering the JSP Standard Tag
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0131001531/sr=1-2/qid=1137594704/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-2890725-8241447?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Also as a quick reference this PDF is great:
http://www.jadecove.com/jstl-quick-reference.pdf

--
Rick