Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marco Castillo <ma...@vdkit.net> on 2010/06/17 02:45:03 UTC

Tomcat unexpected shutdown on Solaris

Dear List:
I have installed Tomcat 6.0.26 with Java 1.6.0_20 in a Solaris 5.10 OS
virtualized machine. Everything works fine, but unexpectedly Tomcat
shutdowns gracefully. In catalina.out I see the following lines logged:

Jun 16, 2010 7:07:18 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-9080
Jun 16, 2010 7:07:19 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Jun 16, 2010 7:07:19 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-9080

I also change the shutdown port from 8005 to 9005.

I have checked all the logs and there is no exception displayed, no error,
nothing. I look for an error file from java, but there is no one. It happens
randomly. Sometimes the Tomcat works for large periods of time, sometimes it
shutdowns 5 minutes after it has been started.
Does somebody has any idea? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Regards

Ing. Marco Antonio Castillo
Chief Design Engineer
Van Der Kaaden IT Consulting
Guatemala, Guatemala C.A.
tel: +502 22382710
mobile: +502 59186971
e-mail: mabcastillo@vdkit.net
sip: mabcastillo@sip.vdkit.net

Re: Tomcat unexpected shutdown on Solaris

Posted by kretes <kr...@gazeta.pl>.
Hi,

We are experiencing similiar problem, and we have added a shutdown hook to
JVM :
Runtime.getRuntime().addShutdownHook(new PrintStacktracesOnShutdownHook());

and used Thread.getAllStackTraces() to get all stack traces and printed them
out.
Finally it occured that process really did got SIGHUP signal.

Hope it helps, let us know what happened after that.
Tomasz Bartczak

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Marco Castillo [mailto:mabcastillo@vdkit.net]
> Subject: Tomcat unexpected shutdown on Solaris
>
> I have checked all the logs and there is no exception displayed,
> no error, nothing. I look for an error file from java, but there
> is no one. It happens randomly. Sometimes the Tomcat works for
> large periods of time, sometimes it shutdowns 5 minutes after it
> has been started. Does somebody has any idea?

Likely one of your webapps (possibly a 3rd-party library) is calling System.exit() - very anti-social behavior.  You can use a security manager to prevent it and catch the culprit.

 - Chuck