Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/23 01:32:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Should the quickstart archetype include tapestry-hibernate?

The title says it all.  It would be very easy to include
tapestry-hibernate as a dependency, and a minimal hibernate.cfg.xml
file as well.  Thoughts?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: [DISCUSS] Should the quickstart archetype include tapestry-hibernate?

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>.
Yuck. :)

I know hibernate is "all the rage" now, but, honestly, it's not /that/
hard to go add a dependency.
I prefer the cleaner archetype that doesn't make assumptions about
what technology stack you'll be using, other than tapestry.

Robert

Posted by Francois Armand <fa...@linagora.com>.
Christian Edward Gruber wrote:
> If you're going to do that, you should probably include a basic value
> object with a sample property and a DAO configured as a T5 service to
> allow someone to know what you're talking about.  Just wiring up
> Hibernate isn't as helpful. Though we're starting to talk about a
> jump-start-esque thing at this point.
>
> By no means am I suggesting don't do it, but it could be more
> confusing if you did it without the last little pieces.  Really it
> sounds like a different archetype to me.

I also agree with that. For now, I never use T5-hibernate in any
project. I'm perhaps a special case, but I dealt with a T5-LDAP project
(no hibernate), a T5 front-end on top of a Spring-based
busines/persistence layer (hibernate was used, but handled by spring), a
T5-JCR project (again, hibernate wasn't in the scope of T5).

So, that's my first argument : T5-hibernate isn't a common dependency
for every one.

Secondly, has Christian said, if all the matter is to have the
dependency in the pom, I think it's just useless. It's kind of five
lines to add in a file.
At contrario, if the aim is to demonstrate in the quickstart app HOW
(simply) T5-hibernate works, the goal seems _really_ interesting: it
demonstrates common idioms, bring best practices into ligth, etc. But in
this case, the quickstart should be able to really demonstrate the use
of T5-hibernate, and so comes we the full stack (a domain object, a dao
service or the direct entity persistence strategy, and a DB). But that
is more and more looking like a small tutorial...

So, to sum up:
- I don't see the point at ONLY having T5-hibernate in the POM ;
- I clearly see the advantage at having a full persistence example ;
- I thing, but I'm almost certainly biased here, that having
T5-hibernate in a project is not the vast majority of T5 project, and so
should not be in the simplest quickstart.

At this point, I'm thinking again at what I just say... And in fact, I
use quickestart only for test / demo app, in a bigger project, I almost
always build the app from strach, and just copy/past what part of the
pom I need. So perhaps it just doesn't matter to have to remove
T5-Hibernate in a really, more-than-five-minutes-spent project, and I
may be a good plus for a demo/test (but I maintain that I would like to
be able to really use persistence as soon the quickstart is finished)

So, it seems that I have no definitive idea on the subject... Best
solution: 2 quickstart, a ligth and a full-stack ; but I could see why
having only the second one is OK.

--
Francois Armand
Etudes & Développements J2EE

Re: [DISCUSS] Should the quickstart archetype include tapestry-hibernate?

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
If you're going to do that, you should probably include a basic value
object with a sample property and a DAO configured as a T5 service to
allow someone to know what you're talking about.  Just wiring up
Hibernate isn't as helpful. Though we're starting to talk about a jump-
start-esque thing at this point.

By no means am I suggesting don't do it, but it could be more
confusing if you did it without the last little pieces.  Really it
sounds like a different archetype to me.

Christian.

On 22-Jan-09, at 19:32 , Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> The title says it all.  It would be very easy to include
> tapestry-hibernate as a dependency, and a minimal hibernate.cfg.xml
> file as well.  Thoughts?
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Christian Edward Gruber
christianedwardgruber@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Should the quickstart archetype include tapestry-hibernate?

Posted by José Paumard <Jo...@orange.fr>.
I think the archetype is fine as it is. IMHO adding the Hibernate
support would confuse things (what to remove, what to keep), especially
for beginners who are going to use this archetype. I'm developing my 4th
T5 project, and I dont use the archetype any more. So maybe my point of
view (archetype is for beginners) is biased.

BTW if you use Hibernate with annotations or through JPA you dont need
hibernate.cfg.xml. So adding it might add to the confusion.

José

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
As dbms choice and database setup (dialect, connection, pool
configuration) are highly individual and need to be done manually either
way, I don't see the need to include a dependency on tapestry-hibernate
in the quickstart just so that a potential user doesn't have to add it
to his POM by himself.
It would be different though, if we shipped the quickstart with a
dependency on HSQLDB (and a working hibernate.cfg.xml for it) and some
example entities.

Uli

Posted by Thiago HP <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm of the opinion that it's easier to remove unwanted stuff than add
> it in.

Tapestry-hibernate, when it is in the classpath, tries to create a
SessionFactory. So, if someone wants the Tapestry archetype without
Hibernate, at first he/she will have an exception. This has happened
in this list at least two times, as far as I can remember.

This way, I don't think the Tapestry archetype must not have
Tapestry-Hibernate. I also agree with Francois arguments.

--
Thiago

Re: [DISCUSS] Should the quickstart archetype include tapestry-hibernate?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm of the opinion that it's easier to remove unwanted stuff than add
it in.  I really don't want to maintain two archetypes, but the other
developers are beginning to be more active, so maybe my bandwidth
shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Szemere Szemere <sz...@googlemail.com>.
Why not include the config needed for tapestry-hibernate in the pom, but
comment it out. That way you don't automatically get the cruft if you don't
want hibernate, but if you do it's really easy to figure out how to include
it.
Szemere

Re: [DISCUSS] Should the quickstart archetype include tapestry-hibernate?

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
I don't think Hibernate should be added in the quickstart.  Just having an
in-memory DAO is good enough, and a wiki page on adding t5-hibernate to the
vanilla (plain) quickstart can be added.

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.
I would say not to, create another quickstart if you feel there's an audience. I know that at the stage I found the QS Archetype useful, having to remove Hibernate would not have been a welcome or easy task.