Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Javen O'Neal <on...@apache.org> on 2017/06/20 17:32:37 UTC

Developing POI with an IDE

What IDE's are people using to develop POI? Command line Ant and Gradle on
Linux are pretty straight forward. We currently ship POI with an Eclipse
.project file, but I'd be interested in adding project files for other IDEs
if it makes it easier for people to build POI for the first time.

I am trying out IntelliJ IDEA. If someone already has a working setup in
IDEA that is reusable on a fresh checkout, let us know.

RE: Developing POI with an IDE

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
I'm on Intellij, and y, first time set up with POI is a pain.

What's the best way to share my setup?

Lucene-solr has an ant-idea task that copies all .iml files and all files under .idea from a "dev-tools" folder into their proper place.

  <target name="idea" depends="resolve" description="Setup IntelliJ IDEA configuration">
    <condition property="idea.jdk.is.set">
      <isset property="idea.jdk"/>
    </condition>
    <!-- Define ${idea.jdk} if it's not yet defined - otherwise literal "${idea.jdk}" is substituted -->
    <property name="idea.jdk" value=""/>
    <!-- delete those files first, so they are regenerated by the filtering below
      (add more files with dynamic properties like versions here): -->
    <delete dir=".idea" includes="misc.xml workspace.xml"/>
    <!-- Copy files with filtering: -->
    <copy todir="." overwrite="false" encoding="UTF-8">
      <fileset dir="dev-tools/idea"/>
      <filterset begintoken="subst.=&quot;" endtoken="&quot;">
        <filter token="idea.jdk" value="${idea.jdk}"/>
      </filterset>
      <filterset>
        <filter token="version" value="${version}"/>
        <filter token="version.base" value="${version.base}"/>
      </filterset>
    </copy>
    <antcall target="-post-idea-instructions"/>
  </target>

  <target name="-post-idea-instructions" unless="idea.jdk.is.set">
    <echo>
To complete IntelliJ IDEA setup, you must manually configure
File | Project Structure | Project | Project SDK.

You won't have to do this in the future if you define property
$${idea.jdk}, e.g. in ~/lucene.build.properties, ~/build.properties
or lucene/build.properties, with a value consisting of the
following two XML attributes/values (adjust values according to
JDKs you have defined locally - see
File | Project Structure | Platform Settings | SDKs):

    idea.jdk = project-jdk-name="1.8" project-jdk-type="JavaSDK"
    </echo>
  </target>

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.
MyEclipse here, because it's familiar, cheap, and simpler to install than
stock Eclipse.  Haven't bothered learning Gradle yet but it's on my list
eventually.  Notably I can't run all the unit tests directly from Eclipse,
I have to use the Ant tasks.  Haven't uncovered why yet.

Posted by "Murphy, Mark" <mu...@metalexmfg.com>.
I'm using Eclipse, and really appreciate how easy it is to set up a new project.

Previously Eclipse, nowadays IntelliJ here, although not in a shareable state.

Ideally we would use the Gradle build to generate the ide files (just open the gradle file as project) to not have to maintain separate configs, although not sure how far you get with that currently.

Dominik