Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Joachim Schrod <js...@acm.org> on 2012/06/11 16:10:51 UTC

[Trinidad] MyFaces/Trinidad without Javascript

Hi,

I use MyFaces and Trinidad successfully for past projects, and
would like to continue doing that in future projects, too.

Now I've been asked to create a Web application that works in a
degraded way when Javascript is turned off or any
Javascript-blocker like NoScript is used. Degraded means that any
client-side actions and also PPR might not work; I could program
under this assumption. I checked documentation and searched the
list archives, but haven't found a clear answer if I can do this
with MyFaces/Trinidad.

It seems that MyFaces/Trinidad has a Basic HTML mode without
Javascript usage that is used for some mobile phones. I assume that
could be the solution to my problem -- a test for Javascript could
be more or less easily realized on an initial redirect page, so
that I have information in later requests if Javascript is blocked
or not.

But to utilize that I would need a method to tell the Trinidad
rendering engine to use that Basic HTML mode from Java; for example
from a phase listener. I didn't find a place where I could
intervene in Trinidad processing. Can I call a method that triggers
that behavior?

An other, but more complex, possibility might be a Servlet filter
that changes the user agent string to trigger Basic HTML mode
selection in Trinidad. Which user agent string should I use then?

Any tipps would be well appreciated; TIA

	Joachim

PS: While my past projects used Trinidad 1.2 + Facelets, I would
switch to Trinidad 2.1 for the new project; in case that matters.

PPS: The demand of my customer has nothing to do with Web
accessibility conformance. The application will run as part of a
bank's web site, and the bank want its web site to function when
somebody utilizes NoScript or similar, too. They accept the user
experience and/or functionality to be degraded in that case.

Joachim Schrod, Roedermark, Germany
Email: jschrod@acm.org