Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com> on 2004/10/16 17:05:04 UTC

RunData is not an extension of PipelineData

Hi all,

It's been a while since we added PipelineData, and the original intent was
that it would replace Rundata with a flexible, less couple to Turbine
Security interface that could be customized.

As a first cut, we made PipelineData contain RunData, and did some
getting/setting from PipelineData's internal datastore.  However, the intent
was to make RunData a custom implementation of PipelineData, where the
objects are stored in the PipeLineData's generic Map, and RunData just adds
convenice methods to help get data in and out without custom casting all the
time.

Well, as a second cut towards this goal, I have created a patch where the
RunData interface extends PipelineData, and the TurbineRunData extends
DefaultPipelineData.  It currently passes all the unit tests.  I wanted to
float it by everybody for feedback.  It DOES pass all unit tests.

I am thinking of moving the various security related methods to a
SecurityData interface that would extend PipelineData.  Then, when handing
rundata to a security oriented valve, it would be casted to that interface.
RunData has too many methods, and many are not needed in an Action or
screen..  They should be moved to their own interfaces.

Eric