Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/07/19 07:57:00 UTC

Maven2 Conversation Status

Good news... we are almost there.  Bad news... it will probably take
another week or so get everything *fully* functional.

Right now we have a functional Jetty J2EE assembly, which almost all
components enabled.  Tomcat J2EE assembly is complaining still, but
my hunch is that the fix is relatively simple... for someone who
knows better than I.  The minimal assemblies are in close seconds,
and should be easy to get functional once the J2EE assemblies are
finished.

As many of you have noticed I have been working out of the sandbox/
svkmerge/m2migration branch for this work.  I've been tracking
changes made to trunk and merging them periodically to my sandbox so
that m2migration is kept up to date wrt to other changes.  I think
that this could start to get out of hand the longer that this work is
kept separate.  Already I've had to merge a few changes that would
not be needed if we had one tree to work from.

It is my opinion that we should probably start the RTC process now
for merging the svkmerge/m2migration branch to trunk and to deprecate
the Maven 1 build... and nuke its build files.

I believe that the m2 build is functional enough for people to work
with for bug fixes and other changes going into trunk.  I also
believe that the longer we keep m1 and m2 files around the more work
it will be for use to keep them in sync with each other.

My recommendation is that we:

  * RTC vote genesis to be a peer-project to trunk
  * RTC vote the m2migration branch to be merged back to trunk

I would prefer to finish up the work on trunk, but I am fine to merge
back to trunk a working m2 build and then continue on the m2migration
for another week or so to bunch up changes into per-week intervals
for RTC merge-back to trunk (this is not ideal, but will work if that
is what is required to get it done).

IMO it is better to get trunk sync'd up with the new m2 work that has
been done so that when others change configuration that it will get
applied to the new build and not get lost in the transition.

I am confident that we can get the m2 build finished in the next few
weeks... pending the time required to RTC.

Can we get some commitment from PMC members to review and vote in
these changes so that we can finally finish the move to Maven 2?

Please let me know what your opinion is.

We are almost there... let's finish the job.

--jason

Re: Maven2 Conversation Status

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
>> Jetty and Tomcat J2EE and Minimal all work as of yesterday.
>
> Ok...well...based on your statement before, you did not clarify this.
> If I can get an assembly, then this is good.

The work has been moving fast.  At the time of the initial "Maven2
Conversation Status" there was an issue, but it was trivial to fix...
just needed someone to tell my why it was broken, which David Jencks
did.  This is one of the reasons I'd like to get the m1 build
deprecated, because the sooner we have everyone looking at the m2
build the faster we will get it up to 100%.

>> So, if you replaced "mvn install" with "bootstrap" then the above
>> statement is accurate.
>
> Ok...so you have a script I can run...have a clean repo...and at
> the end
> have a full assembly?  If so, then this is somewhat acceptable to me.

Yes, it is checked in.  You need cygwin on windows to run it, not
going to be making a .bat for it as it is temporary until this work
is done and G and OpenEJB2 are deploying m2 built artifacts, at which
time the build (build.bat) will work, until Maven 2.0.5 is out with
the fix to allow `mvn install` to do the trick.

>> I agree, need to get some input from Keven to see what is needed
>> to get
>> the TCK running off of the m2 build.  I think that can happen in
>> parallel to the first step (or steps if you include deprecation of
>> m1).
>
> Sounds good...get his input.  But a TCK build, one way or the other,
> without manual intervention would be a gate for this IMHO.

It will happen, no question about it.  The TCK is critical, but IMO
it should not limit the move to m2 in /trunk... I believe that the
move to m2 on /trunk is a prerequisite for getting the TCK going for
the m2 build.

We will get it up and running ASAP.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Jason,

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jul 20, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
> IMHO, until its all completely functional and working, I would not
> wage
> a +1 for moving it in and deprecating 1.0.  If you are interested in
> moving in POMs and plugins, then I would be amenable to that.
> However,
> I would not at all be amenable to any sort of deprecation until the M2
> build is 100% functional.

What does 100% cover exactly?

  * * *

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jul 21, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Based on this note and the others it sounds like the build is
> working and that you are suggesting a temporary blackout period
> when the migration is completed.  During the migration period the
> Maven 1 build will no longer work so we will effectively halt any
> development in trunk.

Not exactly.  The m1 build will still function, just it is not
preferred... and use would be discouraged.  Soon afterwards once we
have the TCK up and everyone is happy (or happy enough) then the m1
build will be removed.

Development on trunk using m1 _should_ halt... and be replaced by
development using m2... but by no means will the migration force
anyone to halt for the initial steps.

> Based on the commit log it doesn't really look like there is much
> going on now anyway so its probably not a huge issue.  Looks like
> some folks have left trunk for branches or the sandbox which is
> unfortunate.

There is almost nothing going on in trunk right now except for merges
from 1.1 that Sachin has been doing.

> How long do you estimate that the work will take and what happens
> if its not completed before your vacation?  I'm uncomfortable
> throwing M1 out if its going to be a three week conversion period.
> You may have answered this in the thread and if I missed it I
> apologize.

I'm taking a vacation?  Where am I going?  Do I need my bathing
suite?  :-P

The build with m2 works now.  The "conversion period" would be the
time it takes for me to merge m2migration back to trunk (and verify w/
bootstrap which takes ~30m or so on my laptop).

Using svk that should be maybe an hour.  But lets say it will take a
day for a nice 8x buffer.

I'm planning on merging with svk from svkmerge/m2migration to
svkmerge/trunk and then from svkmerge/trunk to trunk.  I've been
doing the opposite to keep svkmerge/m2migration in sync with trunk
periodically, which is mostly brainless and works flawlessly.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I'll take a peek at the branch this evening.  I'm kind of on vacation so I'm trying to limit my time
in front of the keyboard.

Based on this note and the others it sounds like the build is working and that you are suggesting a
temporary blackout period when the migration is completed.  During the migration period the Maven 1
build will no longer work so we will effectively halt any development in trunk.  Based on the commit
log it doesn't really look like there is much going on now anyway so its probably not a huge issue.
  Looks like some folks have left trunk for branches or the sandbox which is unfortunate.

How long do you estimate that the work will take and what happens if its not completed before your
vacation?  I'm uncomfortable throwing M1 out if its going to be a three week conversion period.  You
may have answered this in the thread and if I missed it I apologize.

I'll post back later tonight.

Cheers.

Matt

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
FYI... windows users should extract the assembly dist into c:\ to
avoid long file issues.  Looks like the longest file in the dist is
about 218c (including the basedir name), so extracting into c:\
should avoid any issues on the evil platform of names that must be
short.

If anyone believes they have run into a log filename problem on
windows either building or running the server please let me know asap.

--jason

Re: Re: Maven2 Conversation Status

Posted by Christoph Sturm <ch...@gmail.com>.
> Changing to use http instead of https fixes...
>
> But something recently changed at the haus.

anonymous svn acces on the haus is limited to http now.

-chris

Re: Maven2 Conversation Status

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Yes, I just started seeing that too... not sure wtf is going on...

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> Unfortunately I didn't keep the reports from when it failed.  I
> assumed it was due to other stuff running on my machine
> (Thunderbird seems to be looping a lot lately consuming most of the
> cpu).

No worries, I'm 99% sure they failed in a harmless way to due to lack
of cpu availability for the test to complete in the alloted time.

I'm considering turning those tests off until they are fixed to pass
unless something is actually broken.

> Building OpenEJB2...
> Authentication realm: <https://svn.codehaus.org:443> openejb Repo
> Password for 'sissonj':

This is fixed now.  If you sync your workspace (to at least #424511),
then run this, it should take off from where it failed asking for a
passwd:

     ./bootstrap openejb2
     ./build -Dstage=assemble

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jul 21, 2006, at 3:20 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>> I find it very hard to believe that we are going to spend time to
>> setup
>> the TCK to run on sandbox/svkmerge/m2migration.
>
> How does this differ from what you are doing today with the G
> codebase?

Sorry, I do not understand what you are asking.

  * * *

My understanding is that to get the TCK bits working and automated in
GBuild that we need to have a CI process that is publishing artifacts
and I do not believe that we want to spend time to setup that process
on this sandbox branch.  I believe that we want to do this for
trunk.  In fact we need to do that to get the OpenEJB2 build
automated, which is also required to get the G build automated.

I believe that setting this up for my m2migration branch would be an
intermediate step that benefits us very little and overall just slows
down the progress of getting the TCK up and running for the long run
using m2.  If you mean to have me (or someone) run the TCK locally
I'm not sure that will fly either as I certainly don't have cycles on
my laptop to run the TCK for however many days it takes for the thing
to run, nor do I have the expertise at this moment to know how to fix
it if it breaks on something.

IIUC there is significant configuration involved to get everything up
and running, and significant time to actually run, therefor we could
easily burn a week or more to perform the intermediate setup and then
have to reburn that time to do it again.

The best option to get the TCK up and running fastest and in a
permanent state of continuous integration is to merge the work to the
trunk and then setup GBuild to use trunk to run tests against.

Its like we have just performed some major renovations on your house
and need the inspector to come and make sure that everything is up to
code... well, the inspector is not going to demand that the
renovations be applied to a mock house build out in your backyard
first before allowing them to be applied to your house proper.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
This should do the trick:

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
>> We should submit 3 patches for RTC -
>> 1. One from the branch
>> 2. One with packaging plugin and configs made from the trunk
>> 3. One with assembly plugin and Assemblies made from the trunk
>>     The patches 2 and 3 can be reviewed and tested independently
>> of 1.
>>    IMO this is the only way to keep the build current at all times
>> while we wait for RTC and other issues to be resolved.
>>     What do PMC members who will be reviewing this work feel about
>> this
>> approach?
>
> Just a word of caution - The more the number of RTC, the more the
> delay.

I agree.  I'd rather get patches applied to m2migration and then use
that branch for RTC review.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Inline -

On 7/19/06, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> inline..
>
> --- Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
>

> > It is my opinion that we should probably start the RTC process now
> > for merging the svkmerge/m2migration branch to trunk and to deprecate
> >
> > the Maven 1 build... and nuke its build files.
>
>    Is this necessary? It is a nice thing to have during bug fixes.

Hmmm....  Anita, I too don't see the need for it. Why can't the m2
build be used for bug fixes ? For bugs in the m2 build itself, we can
always refer to an older branch or revision that had maven 1. I think
we just have to force people to switch to m2.

> > My recommendation is that we:
> >
> >   * RTC vote genesis to be a peer-project to trunk
> >   * RTC vote the m2migration branch to be merged back to trunk
> >
> > I would prefer to finish up the work on trunk, but I am fine to merge
> > back to trunk a working m2 build and then continue on the m2migration
> > for another week or so to bunch up changes into per-week intervals
> > for RTC merge-back to trunk (this is not ideal, but will work if that
> > is what is required to get it done).
> >
> > IMO it is better to get trunk sync'd up with the new m2 work that has
> > been done so that when others change configuration that it will get
> > applied to the new build and not get lost in the transition.
>
> I am planning to maintain the packaging plugin and configs on the trunk
> despite all the cosmetic changes done by RTC-2161. I still need to add
> some functionality and tie some loose ends. I need to add classPath fix
> and explicit-version.properties fix. Jason, Do I have your permission
> to do so?
> We should submit 3 patches for RTC -
> 1. One from the branch
> 2. One with packaging plugin and configs made from the trunk
> 3. One with assembly plugin and Assemblies made from the trunk
>     The patches 2 and 3 can be reviewed and tested independently of 1.
>    IMO this is the only way to keep the build current at all times
> while we wait for RTC and other issues to be resolved.
>     What do PMC members who will be reviewing this work feel about this
> approach?

Just a word of caution - The more the number of RTC, the more the delay.

> > I am confident that we can get the m2 build finished in the next few
> > weeks... pending the time required to RTC.
>
>     Things do not always go as planned. I had planned to have all the
> servers running on the trunk before I left for my vacation.
>
> Thanks
> Anita

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Maven2 Conversation Status

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jul 19, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On 7/20/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
>> I would encourage you (and others) to try the build from the branch
>> first.  If you feel the need to diff that is fine, though we will
>> probably be merging this change back, not patching.
>
> That's exactly what I had in mind, I believe. I'm going to merge the
> changes rather than creating a patch off svkmerge/m2migration and
> apply it to my local trunk copy. I don't see any other way to manage
> it. Is this what you had in mind?

Yup.

Diff would only be for reference.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> What I expect is to check out the svkmerge/m2conversion branch and
> diff it against the trunk, then review the changes, apply them to my
> local trunk copy and give it a whirl. If it works, it will receive my
> +1.

Good luck ;-)

I would encourage you (and others) to try the build from the branch
first.  If you feel the need to diff that is fine, though we will
probably be merging this change back, not patching.

> Anyone care to comment on it. Will it be enough to check it out? Have
> I already said I'm looking forward to giving it a shot? ;-)

Good :-)

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
>> the Maven 1 build... and nuke its build files.
>
>    Is this necessary? It is a nice thing to have during bug fixes.

Yes this is necessary.  We already have had several commits to trunk
that changed Maven 1 configurations and skipped Maven 2... the longer
we have both systems in place the more likely they will get out of sync.

> I am planning to maintain the packaging plugin and configs on the
> trunk
> despite all the cosmetic changes done by RTC-2161. I still need to add

Please do not work from trunk... it will be very difficult to apply
patches you make to trunk to the m2migration branch which is what is
under active development.

> some functionality and tie some loose ends. I need to add classPath
> fix
> and explicit-version.properties fix. Jason, Do I have your permission
> to do so?

What are the changes?

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
inline..