Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> on 2015/12/02 18:07:18 UTC

Web UI Memory Usage in Firefox

I am cross posting this in Marathon and Mesos lists because both UIs are
having this issue, and I figured I'd save time in posting two separate
messages.

Basically, in using Firefox, I noticed that over time, my firefox would get
to become unusable when I had Marathon and Mesos WebUIs up and running.  At
first, I thought it was a function of my home (Mac) computer and firefox.
But when I started a PoC for work, and my Windows install of firefox had
the same issues, I started doing more investigation.

First of all, both at home and at work, my Firefox is only dedicated to
"cluster" related tasks. Thus, I don't have other tabs that are not Cluster
UIs.

My typical setup is to have MapR UI, Mesos UI, Marathon UI, Chronos UI,
Myriad UI, and Yarn UI all up and running.

After about 3-4 hours, my browser would get really slow, and
non-responsive. I'd kill all and start again.  Rinse repeat.

So I did some analysis, and basically found a plugin for Firefox that shows
on each tab the amount of memory being used. I found that both Marathon and
Mesos UI were the culprits, and things got really bad after just 2-3
hours.  With those setup, on Windows, I have the following memory usage:

MapR UI: 7.7mb
Myriad UI: 9.8mb
Yarn: 2.7 mb
Chronos 10.2 mb
Marathon: 163 mb
Mesos UI: 463 mb

Both Marathon and Mesos continually climb, slowly, up some, down a few, up
some more, but obviously generally trending up.  I guess I wanted to toss
it out here to see if it's something in my settings, or something that
others are seeing.  It's a problem for me from a usability standpoint, and
I am guessing that it's one of those things that while not a priority for a
project, should be looked at.

John

Re: Web UI Memory Usage in Firefox

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.
I tried that and both Marathon and Mesos did not relinquish any of their
memory.

Posted by Joseph Wu <jo...@mesosphere.io>.
Hi John,

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.