Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/11 02:19:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] a new web area for Apache OpenOffice third party products

We used to have the old Distribution project that for the most part has
been revised to a very minimal presence...
http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

Recently, there seems to  be a renewed interest in posting information
about new and former Apache OpenOffice distribution outlets -- notably
CD/DVD sets.  And old page containing CD/DVD vendors still exists but is
not linked in any place. Since /distribution/cdrom/sellers.html is
redirected because of changes to this area, you can see and download the
old page from svn:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/distribution/cdrom/sellers.html?view=log

Are we interested in reviving this listing, or something similar to it?
Pros...Cons, etc.

A new listing would not have to be by region as this old one is. Given
update issues in the past, if we provided a new listing page, we would
likely need disclaimers regarding: accuracy, support, relation to Apache
OpenOffice(this project), etc.

As with all our web pages, we could accept additions though the CMS from
non-commtters.

MzK

"You can't believe one thing and do another.
 What you believe and what you do are the same thing."
                             -- Leonard Peltier

Re: [DISCUSS] a new web area for Apache OpenOffice third party products

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> combination of the FAQ and "best practices" with links to  CDs, etc. But if
> we're only going to be dealing with CDs, no reason to keep that
> organization, and it would probably be more friendly for users. (I have an
> archive of the old /distribution/index.html).
>

>> Not a big deal, just
>> an idea.  Do we know what existing incoming links from 3rd party
>> websites point to?
>

> I can't answer this one.
>

>> (or even OO websites?)
>

> Because "distribution" used to be a separate project, there are many links
> to "distribution.openoffice.org" and a fair number JUST the cdrom area.
>

> Whatever URL was used for
>> the distributor list before should probably stay as the listing page.
>> That way the existing links will still be accurate.
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html
>>

> Since there were more than just CD vendors before, I think the page you
> would want to keep the same would be:
>
> /distribution/cdrom/sellers.html  --and/or--
> /distribution/cdrom/index.html
>
> The two pages above are in my old archive and are practically identical.
>
> I used this as kind of a template for:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html
>
> So... we could:
> * replace the old sellers.html with the contents that is now in
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html
> and make that the landing page
>
> and, then have THAT link to the FAQ, and Best Practices which are locate
> in:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution<http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html>
>
> I suggest we just leave  the /distribution/index.html ( the FAQs) where
> they are as there are some cases where links still exist to "
> distribution.openoffice.org" so that would still resolve.
>
> I guess we can discuss other matters once we get these moved where we want
> them to eventually go.
>

>> Instead of "Location"
>

> I thought this was supposed to be where the company was located...
>

>> maybe "Countries Served" or something like that.
>>  Or, in the application process we have a "data dictionary" that
>> explains exactly what we want in each field.  (I'm assuming that it
>> would be common for someone in the US to be able to sent to Canada
>> easily, and someone within the EU can cover more than one country if
>> they want.
>>
>> "Additional Information"?  I'd drop that unless we think it is really
>> necessary.  Otherwise it is easy for that to turn into an
>> advertisement.  Additional information can go on their website.
>>

> Maybe indicate if the medium is CD or DVD? And for what OS versions?
> This might save users some clicks.
>

>> > Mockups needing MUCH discussion I'm sure.
>> >

>> It is a good start.  Maybe we iterate just a little bit more and then
>> do the Call for Comments on the blog, so we can get some distributor
>> and user views on this.
>>

> OK, I can start moving things around soonish.

Maybe start from the new listing location now and see how things are
progressing:

http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/sellers.html

/distribution/cdrom/sellers.html will also be copies to
/distribution/cdrom/index.html

>> I'm also thinking that a CD label graphic from the project would be a
>> very good thing.  Almost every distributor would want one.  We can
>> avoid a lot of trademark use review requests if we have a label that
>> can be used by listed distributors.

Good idea! Using our new logo -- but we still need just the new orb for
this.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/ (3728 links from 242
> domains)
>

> >> (or even OO websites?)
> >

> > Because "distribution" used to be a separate project, there are many
> links
> > to "distribution.openoffice.org" and a fair number JUST the cdrom area.
> >

> > Whatever URL was used for
> >> the distributor list before should probably stay as the listing page.
> >> That way the existing links will still be accurate.
> >>
> >> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html
> >>

> > Since there were more than just CD vendors before, I think the page you
> > would want to keep the same would be:
> >
> > /distribution/cdrom/sellers.html  --and/or--
>  /distribution/cdrom/index.html
> >

> It looks like the cdrom/index.html was the most popular one.  So maybe
> make that the primary one and redirect or link the others.

cdrom/sellers/html ( the one I recently modified) and cdrom/index.html
were/are identical.

So, when we're ready to go, I'll just copy sellers.html to index.html

For now, I left cdrom/index.html as it is.

> > The two pages above are in my old archive and are practically identical.
> >
> > I used this as kind of a template for:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html
> >
> > So... we could:
> > * replace the old sellers.html with the contents that is now in
> > http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html
> > and make that the landing page
> >
> > and, then have THAT link to the FAQ, and Best Practices which are locate
> in:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/distribution<
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html>
> >
> > I suggest we just leave  the /distribution/index.html ( the FAQs) where
> > they are as there are some cases where links still exist to "
> > distribution.openoffice.org" so that would still resolve.
> >
> > I guess we can discuss other matters once we get these moved where we
> want
> > them to eventually go.
> >

> >> Instead of "Location"
> >

> > I thought this was supposed to be where the company was located...
> >

> Sure.
>

> >> maybe "Countries Served" or something like that.
> >>  Or, in the application process we have a "data dictionary" that
> >> explains exactly what we want in each field.  (I'm assuming that it
> >> would be common for someone in the US to be able to sent to Canada
> >> easily, and someone within the EU can cover more than one country if
> >> they want.
> >>
> >> "Additional Information"?  I'd drop that unless we think it is really
> >> necessary.  Otherwise it is easy for that to turn into an
> >> advertisement.  Additional information can go on their website.
> >>

> > Maybe indicate if the medium is CD or DVD? And for what OS versions?
> > This might save users some clicks.
> >

> If we link these are useful we might just add columns specifical for
> "Medium" and "OS".  It will make it easier for users to visually scan
> the table if things are in the same place for every entry.

Yes, I thought about that right after I sent this. I just added these
columns to /cdrom/sellers.html.

> >> It is a good start.  Maybe we iterate just a little bit more and then
> >> do the Call for Comments on the blog, so we can get some distributor
> >> and user views on this.
> >>

> > OK, I can start moving things around soonish.
> >

> OK.   Thanks.  I'll start revising the blog post I had started, to
> turn it into a Call for Comments.
>
> -Rob

Great! I think getting this listing back up is sure to make some of our
supporters happy.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> wants to

> those

> only
> of

> our
> something

> suggestions

> >> ok, this looks pretty good...

> >> Yes, I can do this over the next day or so I think. I just do up a
> static
> >> HTML as you suggest. Maybe like the old listing but without the region
> info
> >> -- to start.
> >>

> >> I started looking at some XML, and XSL just now, and well, not sure how
> >> this could be  handled with the CMS vis a vis standard page headers etc.
> >> We could probaly define a "new" page type.
> >>
> >> For now, static HTML it is.
> >>

> > OK, start here (revision of /distribution/index.html)
> >
> >  http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/index_new.html
> >

> This is a good start.
>
> I wonder if the main page (index.html) should the end-user facing
> page, e.g., the distributor listings?   And then have the FAQ be in
> distributor-faqs.html or something like that?

This might be a good idea. The main facing page IS a bit "preachy" I guess.
The legacy Distribution project's main index page was more like a
combination of the FAQ and "best practices" with links to  CDs, etc. But if
we're only going to be dealing with CDs, no reason to keep that
organization, and it would probably be more friendly for users. (I have an
archive of the old /distribution/index.html).

> Not a big deal, just
> an idea.  Do we know what existing incoming links from 3rd party
> websites point to?

I can't answer this one.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .

>>> permission

>>> who
>>> all
>>> know

>>> if
>>> what

>>> like
>>> >>> >>> >
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .

>>> vendor

>>> move
>>> >

>>> We might be able to jump directly to #3.  We don't need to do #1 or #2
>>> first.
>>>
>>> I've started to draft the "Distributor Best Practices" page here:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/best-practices.html
>>>

>> ok, this looks pretty good...
>>

>>> I think in the end we need three pages:
>>>
>>> 1) The main page, which is the listings page.
>>>
>>> 2) The Distributor Best Practices page
>>>
>>> 3) An instructions page for would-be distributors, of how to get
>>> listed.  It might grow over time to include links to ISO's, CD labels,
>>> etc., in the future.
>>>
>>> These pages would be cross-linked.

>>> also.

>>> That could be done now or later on.  It is OK to start with a static
>>> HTML page (not MDText) and prototype the design and even go live with
>>> it, and then add the XSLT automation to generate it later.  Depending
>>> on the number of listings automation might not be needed.
>>>
>>> Do you want to mock up a distributor listings page?
>>>

>> Yes, I can do this over the next day or so I think. I just do up a static
>> HTML as you suggest. Maybe like the old listing but without the region info
>> -- to start.
>>

>> I started looking at some XML, and XSL just now, and well, not sure how
>> this could be  handled with the CMS vis a vis standard page headers etc.
>> We could probaly define a "new" page type.
>>
>> For now, static HTML it is.
>>

> OK, start here (revision of /distribution/index.html)
>
>  http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/index_new.html

This is a good start.

I wonder if the main page (index.html) should the end-user facing
page, e.g., the distributor listings?   And then have the FAQ be in
distributor-faqs.html or something like that?   Not a big deal, just
an idea.  Do we know what existing incoming links from 3rd party
websites point to?  (or even OO websites?)   Whatever URL was used for
the distributor list before should probably stay as the listing page.
That way the existing links will still be accurate.

http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html

Instead of "Location" maybe "Countries Served" or something like that.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
.
.
.

>>> sell

>>> that

.
.
.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> download
>> >>> > >

>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/distribution/cdrom/sellers.html?view=log

>> to it?

>> cd"
>> including

>> third

>> Given
>> would

>> CMS

>> sell

>> that

>> help
>> by
>> criteria.

>> consider

>> from
>> would
>> assistance.

>> this

>> would
>> >>

>> > In particular it is not really feasible for us to review the actual
>> > CD, which is probably the most important thing.
>> >
>> > However, instead of a review we could simply ask distributors to agree
>> > to self-certify to some best practices, and get them to publicly agree
>> > to these guidelines.  That way we can put a disclaimer like:
>> >
>> > "Apache OpenOffice is always available for download free from our
>> > website (link), but as a service to users who may require a physical
>> > CD we provide this of independent vendors who offer Apache OpenOffice
>> > on CD.  These vendors are not endorsed by or affiliated with the
>> > Apache OpenOffice project, but each vendor has agreed to follow our
>> > Best Practices for OpenOffice CD Vendors (link)."
>> >

>> Just thinking ahead a little.  If there is consensus that we want
>> something like "Level 3", then next steps might be:
>>
>> 1) Draft a "Best Practices for OpenOffice CD Vendors" on the wiki
>>
>> 2) Draft an example of a few listings to show how they would look
>>
>> 3) Blog post, a "Call for Comments" on this program.   It would be
>> good to get feedback from CD distributors as well as users, to confirm
>> the approach.
>>
>> 4) Go live.
>>
>> This should not take too long  I can help with some of this.
>
> The goal
>> should be (I'll suggest) to have this ready for AOO 4.0 release, so CD
>> vendors can start distributing shortly after release.  In other words,
>> we don't want a backlog of vendors asking for listing at the time we
>> release.
>>
>> -Rob

It seems there is at least some consensus of moving ahead with a CD vendor
page similar to  the consultants page:

http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html

so, Rob, if you feel inclined to work on #1 and #2 from your suggestions
above, please feel free to draft up something for us to review. Then move
on to #3?

So, we don't have to  un-reroute what we've already done with the old
distribution area, I'm inclined to put this new CD page(s) in bizdev also.

I'm hoping we can just implement this with xml and xslt. I'll do some

re other comments regarding checksums in the related conversation:

http://markmail.org/message/6el3jxmfvbhijezb

Scripting possibilities need to be researched. Any volunteers?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.