Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Tim Mullé <tm...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/26 17:34:13 UTC

Latest Version of NetBeans Platform?

Hi,

I’d like to start developing on the NetBeans Platform and am curious what exactly is the latest version? Which Netbeans IDE version should I use? 8.2? 11.2?

If I download NetBeans 11.2 and create a new “NetBeans Platform Application” and run it and look at the “About” dialog.. it tells me “NetBeans Platform 10” in the graphic and also on the Splash screen as well.

So, I would assume it is “Version 10” and is there any release notes or updated documentation on the “New or Fixed” items in the latest NB Platform?

I want to make sure I have the latest/stable components for my applications.

Thanks,
 - Tim

Re: Latest Version of NetBeans Platform?

Posted by Javier Ortiz Bultron <ja...@gmail.com>.
The right one is 112.

Posted by Tim Mullé <tm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.. I also downloaded the latest 11.3 beta today and tried to create a new NB Platform Application and the splash/about screens still show “Apache NetBeans Platform 10”

I’d like to support people running on JDK8 and JDK11+ with my NB RCP applications..

But I also don’t want to miss out on any bug fixes in the Platform code, ie. Explorer Views, etc..

What is the recommended strategy to support those cases?

1. Compile the same RCP application on both JDK8 and JDK11+ and have to different distributions?

Thanks again..
Tim

Posted by Michele Costabile <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
For my NetBeans Platform application, I usually maintain my own private branch based on the latest NetBeans release (currently 11.3), and build it myself. That allows me to add my own patches as needed, which I then contribute upstream after testing them in my platform app for some time. (I also use my private build as my working IDE, for testing purposes.)

But you can certainly use the official builds too--11.3 in a few days, as Neil said.

-- Eirik

> I’d like to start developing on the NetBeans Platform and am curious what exactly is the latest version?

11.3.  It's released but not been announced yet - takes a few days for everything to be updated.

> If I download NetBeans 11.2 and create a new “NetBeans Platform Application” and run it and look at the “About” dialog.. it tells me “NetBeans Platform 10” in the graphic and also on the Splash screen as well.
>
> So, I would assume it is “Version 10”

No, it's 11.2 - the splash version, etc. is a known issue that really needs a fix for 12.0

> I want to make sure I have the latest/stable components for my applications.

Which?! :-)  Latest is 11.3.  The most stable, in theory, should be the release that goes through NetCAT (community testing).  Personally, I would choose 11.3 with a view to possibly moving to 12.0 LTS in May, and maybe joining in the NetCAT testing for the platform that will start in a few weeks.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Latest Version of NetBeans Platform?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.